ClusterBusters
Sign in to follow this  
Brain on fire

Tyramine 'cheese syndrome' interesting

Wonder if this relates to those people who experience severe headache or hangover headache from red wine. My only vice on that list is aged cheddar, otherwise alcohol is now anathema to me.

BOF,

Funny, yea the food list as high in Tyramine is pretty much exactly my CH food trigger list.  It's very interesting that they included Cluster Headache in the study information:

"Research reveals a possible link between migraine and elevated levels of tyramine. A 2007 review published in Neurological Sciences[19] presented data showing migraine and cluster headaches are characterized by an increase of circulating neurotransmitters and neuromodulators (including tyramine, octopamine and synephrine) in the hypothalamus, amygdala and dopaminergic system. Migraineurs are over-represented among those with inadequate natural monoamine oxidase, resulting in similar problems to individuals taking MAO inhibitors. Many migraine triggers are high in tyramine."

There's a few key words that coorelate - CH, Tyramine, Hypothalamus.  Maybe someone will connect the dots some day.  

Cheers,

J

In cycle cheese is a trigger for me and of course alcohol. I never tried to determine why but hamburgers from Wendy’s were definitely and irrefutably a bad trigger. Any of these three would be a launch into hell. 

More recently diphenhydramine actually triggered a cycle. I was taking it for sleep but apparently some kind of histamine rebound effect triggered a cycle out of nowhere. 

After my first CH cycle passed and I felt safe to drink again, I only get hangover headaches or any headache is always on the same side as my CH now. My GP thought was odd. Trying to bust the next cycle that is supposed to start in a few weeks so I'm not touching booze for a few months even if I bust this cycle or not.