O2 trick

spiny

I have feared the empty tank for years. Also, it made me a bit nuts when it was empty. However, there is a way to get some more O2 out of the welding tanks at least. Without the regulator, open the valve. I always hear a lot of O2 coming out with the regulator removed. In fear of running out one night, I took two garbage bags and set up a redneck bag. Just a garbage bag with a corner cut off to slip in the top  and shoulder of a 2 liter bottle that I cut off. Then tape up the bottom so the bag is sealed except for the bottle opening. I held the opening of the two liter to the output of the tank and filled the garbage bag. It easily filled three bags with O2 left over. Those fluffy bags were waiting for me when I needed them. 

The bags do leak, so you may need to top them up so they last over a day. 

ATB! 

• Thanks 2

We all will do about anything when the CH monster is on our back. The only challenge I see to this method is it could be a bit dangerous if someone were to use a bag with hydrocarbons in on or around it.  100% O2 will flash burn when exposed to hydrocarbons.

I've done some pretty risky stuff myself (and didn't even know it at the time) when my monster is in full swing.

Cheers,

J

O2 doesn't need a flame to spontaneously combust with hydrocarbons.  I know lots of people do this, so I'm not knocking it.  Just wanting people to be aware they should be very careful. 

Example:  Say a mechanic comes in with oily hands and is getting hit.. He goes for the bag and bang... He's on fire in a second.  Hydro carbons are all around us.

Again I know lots of people do this without issue, but just wanting there to be warnings also.

Cheers,

J

• Thanks 3