anyone else entering fall cycle?

Amun Ren

Im just trying to find out if other people are beginning a cycle at this time. i have gotten a slight headache for about 3 days in a row and thats usually how my cycle starts and gets worse from there.

I dont always get 2 cycles a year and this time the pain has switched to my right eye. using oxygen did help but i just want to know if others are beginning a fall cycle as well or if these are some other headache or migraines...

I wanted to ask a similar question. Every year I used to get my headaches right at the peak of Fall season. Particularly when trees have shed and when their leaves start to rustle with the dry and cold wind. I noticed that over the years my cycle was delayed by 2 weeks. So 8 years ago it was around November and this year it was in January just before Spring.

However, for the first time that I can recall, my cycle started at the end of November And the headache is on the opposite side of my head. I assume it was triggered by a Nasal Spray that I used to relieve my stuffy nose for a good night sleep that turned into a nightmare.

So is it normal? For the side of headache and season to change? Should I be expecting another cycle on the other side later in the peak of Fall season? It totally got me off-guard this year as I was planning to bust once before December, that's when I was expecting it. How long will this cycle last, considering other people that have episodic cycles start around this time of the year?

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

I am chronic so I do not have normal cycles but I do have changes in my attacks. Last week I was doing great with only one cluster a day, Saturday hit and they started climbing and by Tuesday I was up to 5. The pain and length of each got worse each time. This is normal for me when the seasons start to change and yes it does suck but mine will hopefully settle down a bit. I take all of the D3 regimen and I add Benadryl 3 times a day when the seasons start to change and things ramp up for me.  Not that this will help you feel any better but you are not alone. As far as your clusters changing sides, I have heard of this happen to other members on this board but it has never happened to me. 

I am an Equinox person. Fall one in September - the 22nd or so. Never changed sides. At first they lasted a month or six weeks. Then it got to where they lasted till the Spring Equinox. And there was one year where I had surgery and the doctor was not at all helpful with the storm he stirred up in March. Not a Neuro and did not care. That one lasted eight months, not the normal six. 

Just keep in mind that they morph over time, They can change for the better or they can change for the worse. If you meant that they began in September rather than November, that fits a common profile. The Equinox. 

This mess can change sides and dates too. It just changes on us!

I highly recommend the D3 Regimen!! It really helps a lot of CHer's. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had the pain switch sides on me, but I have had CH for about ten years now and tend to have attacks from the spring to fall equinox, plus or minus a few weeks. I find myself looking forward to Halloween even more now, because that's when it stops for me in most years. But I have had from spring equinox to the winter solstice as well where I only have a couple of months of being pain free until the next spring equinox. It is weird how those four specific times of year seem to have an effect on most people with cluster headaches.

I have been in the hospital multiple times in the last 10 years with Cluster Headaches and had injections for nerve pain giving to me  in my face.  I also had sinus issues going on so I had Turbinate surgery, after surger I started having cluster headaches again so i asked to have a Scan done and  found that I a mucus retention cyst in my sinus.  I was told that it doesn't cause headach but I insist to have it removed and I never had an episode since.  Please insist to have your ENT or Neurologist do a CT scan and if there is any mucus retention cyst let them remove it.  Hope this helps!

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, automator said:

Im just trying to find out if other people are beginning a cycle at this time. i have gotten a slight headache for about 3 days in a row and thats usually how my cycle starts and gets worse from there.

I dont always get 2 cycles a year and this time the pain has switched to my right eye. using oxygen did help but i just want to know if others are beginning a fall cycle as well or if these are some other headache or migraines...

I have been in the hospital multiple times in the last 10 years with Cluster Headaches and had injections for nerve pain giving to me  in my face.  I also had sinus issues going on so I had Turbinate surgery, after surger I started having cluster headaches again so i asked to have a Scan done and  found that I a mucus retention cyst in my sinus.  I was told that it doesn't cause headach but I insist to have it removed and I never had an episode since.  Please insist to have your ENT or Neurologist do a CT scan and if there is any mucus retention cyst let them remove it.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Hey automator. I am a 43YO male suffering for about 15 years (episodic). I started journaling my attacks in 2016, recording all the details. I do not have any real consistency at all. I get them on both sides, but normally the left. And the timing and duration are all over the place as well. In 2016 I started the cycle in August and lasted a month. Then got another attack for the month of December. Then pain free until late February of 2018. That one was on the right side and lasted 6 weeks. Again pain free since then until this past Friday night when I started having very mild attacks before bed and as I awake. Now just waiting for the cycle to go full swing.  I also start the cycles out mild and it gets worse from there. Typically about a week to 10 days. Before I started journaling I remember one year where I had a cycle both in the spring and fall.  So, probably not some other type of migraine. Just a wacky cycle. Highly recommend journaling. 

• Like 1

I'm back to this board after 2 years of complete relief. Two years ago I got slammed with chronic CH after a 10 year remission. Previously I'd always been eposodic with one a day max at the same time in the evening so when they came back chronic I was totally unprepared and this forum was a total life saver. I was suggested to start the D3 starting with 50K daily dosing along with the other vitamins. At about the same time my PC doc referred me to an excellent neurosurgeon who immediately started me on Verapamil 120 mg and made sure I had all the oxygen I needed along with a good stock of Imitrex. He also wrote me a script for a 12 lpm regulator but I got a 25 lpm from Amazon. I'm not sure if it was the D3 and vitamins or the Verapamil or the combo but within a day my attacks went from one every 1 - 2 hours 24 hours a day down to 3 a day and then to 1 a day and within about 5 days to none. Over the next few months my neurosurgeon gradually increased my Verapamil dosage to 480 daily which took care of all my shadow headaches and I haven't had any type of a headache since.

Then, last week almost to the day when my chronic sessions flared up 2 years ago, my cardiologist took me off of Verapamil as he was concerned it may interact with some new meds he wanted me to take. I've missed taking my verapamil up to a few days at a time with no consequences so perhaps this was just my cycle firing up again. Within a day my CH's started up again chronic and quickly spiraled from 2 or 3 a day to one every 30 - 45 minutes. I immediately got with my Neurosurgeon and Cardiologist and restarted Verapamil but  this time it didn't help. My neurologist also explained about Emgality and wrote a prescription for the CH 300 mg dosing but was out of samples. Unfortunately my Emgality RX has been caught up in insurance delays but today my neurologist he finally got ahold of some samples of Emgality at the initial Migrane dosing of 2 x 120 mg which I started today. I' m now a few hours without any headaches and even my wife commented that I look like I'm back. She claims that she can tell by looking at me whenever my cycle starts and that my facial expressions and other things change whenever I'm in one of my cycles. I'm hopeful that this time I'm done for a while. 

This site and the forum have been a real life saver for myself and so many others. I can't thank everyone enough for their care, and genuine concern. I am sincerely grateful.  

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, automator said:

Yes I am in the fall cycle myself after having a great year with just migraines the demon has made his appearance and dropped me to my knees as it always does when the cycle hits...The embarrassment of others reacting to me has been my biggest challenge lately because I dont like anyone to see me on my lowest parts of life when the demon decides to come out and play..And it seems like when I step out to a croud of people that's exactly when my cluster attack wants to hit me...almost like as game its playing to see how much I can take..BUT I WILL WIN THESE ATTACKS EVERYTIME..WE ALL WILL WIN THEM BECAUSE WE STRONGER THAN THE CLUSTERS THINK WE ARE.. Although they do hurt like crazy...lol

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, Terry123 said:

this is interesting. I had always thought I had some sort of sinus problem when I was getting headaches regularly in the past. before I realized clusters were even a real thing. i have tried just about every kind of medication you can think of  to no avail. even bought one of those little machine dingys that flush your sinus'   feels great. doesn't help. i will definitely look into this 

they are back.. 

they took a break for about 2 weeks. I thought they were gone, but last night I got my ass handed to me and the oxygen had almost no effect! NOOO!!! >;(

they've been ramping up the past 4 or 5 days. usually one in the late morning one around midnight. last night was horrible! the oxygen usually always helps but I went through 2 1/2 tanks last night. was up all night until maybe about 3am finally fell asleep on the edge of my bed with the mask on. I feel like I haven't had a good nights rest in over a week. 

I got a break for about 2 weeks or so after my third MM dose. I wasn't able to take them exactly as recommended.. I did them 6 and 7 days apart I believe. 

I am actually pleasantly surprised. after I tried using MM to bust my last cycle with no sustained benefits I got somewhat discouraged.

Maybe its time to try busting again?  

It snowed last night. I woke up with the worst CH ever. I tried treating it with Indomethacin.No results from that medication. I tried 50mg sumatriptan and a 6mg injector. No results from that either. I ended up in the ER. Seems the weather changes are an EXTREME trigger.

update ~ 

Friday 11-22. ~ morning was rough woke up with mounting pain and had a hard time mentally keeping it together. luckily I was able to avoid a serious attack by downing some coffee, a red bull and using oxygen on my way to work. it actually turned out to be a good day, I did feel one starting later that night but was able to abort it again with a big cup of coffee.

Saturday 11-23 ~ woke up this morning with another oncoming cluster. already had my coffee and I'm currently using oxygen. going to try forced inhale to capacity and exhale to limit. saw this mentioned by an experienced member and figured id give it a try. also most likely going to try a bust today..

crisis averted. happy Saturday 

hope everyone is well

Were still alive after these brutal headaches.. I got to give it our bodies to manage to be able to do it...over the past 20 years I have been to doctors all over Arizona..Neurologist as well.. Dr.Din from Tucson was the first one to know what I was talking about without having to google what I am saying...Numerous medication and oxygen that have no effect so i started  my own tests...First test i did was hard on me because it's not me to act like this But I STOPPED GIVING A SHIT ABOUT ALOT OF THINGS..like what people think about me for one..or how late I'm up...I mean I still keep house and myself up to par of course but I stopped worrying about so much around me and maybe it's the stress level that helped me and it reduced alot..then when an attack would drop me to tears and on my knees I would jump in my truck and hit the back road with the pedal to the floor to hit my ADRENALIN and just like that my headache would be gone...almost everytime now I find a way to hit my ADRENALIN and they fade away  fast...I go through alot of tires but well worth it to me... My Cycle is as almost done for the year I am down to my 1 cluster headache a day which is all year...better than 6 7 or 8 a day during the cycle...STAY HEAD STRONG EVERYONE 

• 3 weeks later...