Script for oxygen

Dlions20

My doctor doesn’t seem to know how to correctly write the script, so I called the medical supply place and want to make sure I’m getting the right thing. The supply lady said I would be mixing the oxygen myself with a concentrator? 

would someone be able to explain exactly what I need? Appreciate the help! Can’t wait until I can get quicker relief. 

A concentrator doesn't really do the trick for aborting cluster headaches.  Your script needs to read    "100% oxygen  at 10-15 lpm via non rebreather mask  Use prn to abort cluster headaches for 10-20 minutes".  You need the O2 delivered via tanks, not a concentrator.  It would be nice if a concentrator worked but it  does not except in rare circumstances.

• Like 2

Great reply from Pebbles'.  The reason a concentrator is ineffective is that it makes O2 from room air, and it is not 100% pure O2 (there is still some room air mixed in).  Plus, the regulators on most concentrators don't go up to 15 lpm (liters per minute), which is where you want to be.  I'm telling you all this because it's likely that the O2 supplier has no experience providing O2 to someone with CH, and you might have to educate them a little.  I imagine 95% of their business is providing low-flow O2 from concentrators to people with COPD-type ailments.  For those people they typically also supply not a mask but nasal cannula.  You need a mask.

For relief from CH, you want the purest O2 possible. That also means that when you get your mask, you might find that there is a circle of small open holes in it. Usually, one set of holes has a gasket behind it but one is completely open. Because you do not want to inhale any room air, you should cover the open holes when you inhale. You can use tape, or your thumb.  You also want to hold the mask firmly to your face so that you get a tight seal.  Eventually, or right away, you should get the mask that's made for people with CH: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ccp8/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=clustero2kit

• Like 1

I should have mentioned this in my previous post.  Because most O2 suppliers are dealing with COPD-type ailments, they are used to supplying very small tanks (D size or E size) for portable use.  You need a way bigger tank for home -- an M tank or an H tank.  You also want at least one E tank for portability (car/work).  I'd be surprised if they don't also give you some kind of runaround about this. Tell them that they'll be bringing replacement tanks to your house every other day if you don't get at least one of the big tanks.  More than one is strongly preferred.

• Like 1

Dilons20

I don't know how they will set you up but with my 02 company I do not own or pay a rental fee for my tanks. I have a deal that was originally set up for 2 m60 tanks and 4 E tanks to be refilled or (swapped out is more like it). I have ended up getting a few extra tanks over the last few years and kind of stock piled them. My 02 company does not know how many tanks I have and I am chronic so I have no plans on giving anything back to them. I would hold on to your tanks when you are out of cycle because it is hard enough to get what you need to start up why do that all over again on the next cycle. As far as I know oxygen does not go bad sitting in the tanks and you never know when the shit will hit the fan so it is better to have them then not. 

• 1 month later...