Prednisone Not Working

Jlands

Episodic sufferer here in the middle of a cycle.  Has anyone experienced a period of time where prednisone was no longer working for them?  Prednisone has always worked 100% of the time i've been on it, for every cycle i've ever had.  I took a two week taper at the beginning of my current cycle and it worked gangbusters as usual.  Now i'm on another two week taper which does not seem to be working.  Additionally, I'm getting multiple attacks a day, which is also unusual for me as i've always experienced just one per day.  Thanks

Hey Jlands,

For starters, you're likely vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency contributes to the frequency of your CH.  We've plenty of data to verify that statement as indicated in the following normal distribution chart of 313 CHer's 25(OH)D3 lab results prior to starting vitamin D3 therapy.  25(OH)D3 is the serum metabolite of vitamin d3 that's used to measure its status.  The normal reference range for this lab test is 30 to 100 ng/mL.  All of them were experiencing an active bout of CH with an average frequency of 3 CH/day/24 hrs.  As you can see from the following chart, 60% of these CHers had a 25(OH)D3 serum concentraton ≤ 30 ng/mL and 100% ≤ 47 ng/mL. 

RAWsxuR.jpg

Second...  you're also likely experiencing an allergic reaction to something in your environment or dietary intake.  A week to 10 day course of Bernadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours throughout the day should make a difference if I'm correct about an allergic reaction.

See the following link for details:

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

Edited by Batch

1 minute ago, Batch said:

Hey Jlands,

For starters, you're likely vitamin D3 deficient.  We've plenty of data to verify that statement as indicated in the following normal distribution chart of 313 CHer's 25(OH)D3 lab results prior to starting vitamin D3 therapy.  All of them were experiencing an active bout of CH with an average frequency of 3 CH/day/24 hrs. 

RAWsxuR.jpg

Second...  you're also likely experiencing an allergic reaction to something in your environment or dietary intake.  A week to 10 day course of Bernadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours throughout the day should make a difference if I'm correct about an allergic reaction.

See the following link for details:

http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

V/R, Batch

Thanks!  I’ve been on the D3 regimen for a few years, so I’m fairly certain it’s not that. I will definitely try the Benadryl.  Much appreciated 

Jlands,

What's your latest 25(OH)D3 serum concentration and what's your vitamin D3 dose?  I've gotten whacked with mine upwards of 140 ng/mL when hit with an allergic reaction to mold spores.

Take care and let us know how the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) works.

V/R, Batch

8 minutes ago, Batch said:

Jlands,

What's your latest 25(OH)D3 serum concentration and what's your vitamin D3 dose?  I've gotten whacked with mine upwards of 140 ng/mL when hit with an allergic reaction to mold spores.

Take care and let us know how the Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) works.

V/R, Batch

Admittedly, I haven’t been getting my levels tested.  I’m currently taking 20,000 ius but perhaps I should reduce it down to 10?

thanks

I am in a cycle and came down with a upper respiratory/sinus infection. When this happens my CH activity gets worse so I chose to do a Prednisone taper, in addition to increasing my D3 intake.

While I hoped it would also end this cycle, it did not. 

This taper was only 5 days. My previous experience with an effective Prednisone taper started at 60mg over 5 weeks.

Edited by dmlonghorn

Jlands,

Allergic reactions to CHers are like Kryptonite to Superman.  I had a huge allergic reaction to mold spores in June of 2018 that kicked me out of a CH remission that had lasted nearly two years and my 25(OH)D3 was ~140 ng/mL at the time.  It took a week of loading vitamin D3 at 50,000 IU/day, extra magnesium and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours to stop the CH beast from jumping ugly...  I switched to the Bio-Tech D3-50 and did a taper from 50,000 IU/day down to 50,000 IU/week over a two week period.  I've been CH pain free ever since.  Hope this helps.

V/R, Batch

Hi Jlands,

Hope your doing ok, I'm going through the exact same at the moment. Prednisone has work great for me for the last 4 years and now this is the first cycle it hasn't worked and getting multiple headaches every day as opposed to two.

Batch,

Thank you for all the great content you post. I started the d3 regimen last week hoping to see some improvements. Also on the benadryl, I live in the UAE and you can't get benadryl here, do you know if there is any other replacements I can get instead that might have the same effect 

Thank you,

Mick

44 minutes ago, Mul23 said:

Hi Jlands,

Hope your doing ok, I'm going through the exact same at the moment. Prednisone has work great for me for the last 4 years and now this is the first cycle it hasn't worked and getting multiple headaches every day as opposed to two.

Batch,

Thank you for all the great content you post. I started the d3 regimen last week hoping to see some improvements. Also on the benadryl, I live in the UAE and you can't get benadryl here, do you know if there is any other replacements I can get instead that might have the same effect 

Thank you,

Mick

Day 2 of Benadryl and I've still been getting my regularly scheduled attacks.  Hoping for it to turn around soon.  I will say that I am drowsy as hell all day