ClusterBusters
Luis

Emgality

Quick update: my cycles usually last 4-6 weeks. I had one that started around December 9 (Thankfully, my first cycle in nearly two years.) Between 12/9 and 12/20 I probably had ten headaches. On 12/20, I took the first month dosage of Emgality. After that, I had four more headaches from 12/21 and 12/24. None since then. 

So, who knows if it was the Emgality that made the cycle shorter? Probably too soon to tell. But, so far so good. 

I have been afraid to try Aimovig because in some people it can make HA's worse. Honestly, I don't think I could endure that.  Does anyone know if Emgality can have the same effect?  I have been having trouble finding an answer to this and frankly, I believe what I read here among you fine folks more than anything I read anywhere else.  

On 12/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, MoxieGirl said:

Hate it when you find something that works, then your body adapts and it stops working.

What are the side effects of Emgality?

Mox

Here's what I found on this topic.

"In controlled studies with EMGALITY up to 6 months (Study 1, Study 2, and Study 3), the incidence of anti-galcanezumabgnlm antibody development was 4.8% (33/688) in patients receiving EMGALITY once monthly (32 out of 33 of whom had in vitro neutralizing activity). With 12 months of treatment in an open-label study, up to 12.5% (16/128) of EMGALITY-treated patients developed"

Translation - yes it can stop working but the incidence seems low..at least for the first year. After that, who knows?

Emgality for Chronic CH

Hello to all you fellow sufferers. 
After 1 1/2 years of very bad CCH (4-6a day) without any relief from trying just about every Med I’ve read about on this site ( I have had no success w O2 even with hi flo mask). I have been busting for two years now with high doses (3-4 g) every 40 days then again 5 days later. Although this regiment and the help I’ve gotten from clusterbusters have saved my life I’m now having kidney pain after busting. After not being able to acquire Emgality ( I’m on Medicare) for less than $1700 a month I have finally got a free sample of 4  120 mg injections. I’ve read the migraine starting dose is 2 120 then 120 per month. I have not found the starting dose for clusters just the 3 100 per month. I was wondering if I should do 3  120’s or 4  120’s as a starting dose ?  
My main concern is if the Emgality doesn’t work how long do  I have to wait to go back to busting. I understand that we are all different,  but was hoping someone could share their Emgality story good or bad in regards to interfering with busting. 
Thanks to all and hope your finding relief with what ever works for you. SE. 

My neurologist gave me samples and told me to take 1 injection of 120 mg every 8 hours,I think.  The website says that the first dose for clusters is 3 100 mg injections given back to back. From what I know emgality is not a triptan so it doesn’t bind to the same serotonin receptors as triptans and busting methods. Emgality binds to the cgrp pain receptors so that people don’t feel the pain of the headache. That is exactly what happens in my case. I cannot feel the pain of the headache but I can still feel when I’m having a headache. I feel the pressure, light sensitivity and dry mouth. I am still on cycle because I can feel the headaches but again not the pain. My second injection would be this coming Sunday. I hope my cycle ends soon but emgality is working. At least I can go to work and function.

My apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but wondering if CGRP inhibitors have any interaction with psilocybin busting. I have been on Emgality for two months and it hasn't been helping. I've successfully gotten the triptans and prednisone out of my system and was going to try busting with magic mushrooms but not sure if anyone has information on interactions there. It seems like there shouldn't be a problem based on how the two drugs work.

Appreciate any shared knowledge/wisdom!

EDIT: I see the answer is directly above! 

Edited by Georgieboy
Found the answer above