o2 noob help please

xBoss

Hey guys,

I'm so much of a mess that it hurts to search for the information. Could you please help me with these O2 questions? Thank you very much.

1. How do I use it? Like do you just keep breathing it until you feel better? I was always scared that I would hyperventilate or something.

2. Are high flow valves available or do I have to mod one? I am handy and can do it, just need tips.

3. Any other tips, suggestions or help would be awesome.

• Like 1

1. Hyperventilating is good get as much pure o2 in your system as you can. You need a non rebreather mask. One with a bag and stay on the o2 for at least 5 min after the banging subsides. 2. Yes if your supplier doesn't give you one amazon sells em. Make sure the fittings match your tank. I don't know what tank you got so can't help with that yet.

• Like 2

been using 02 for roughly 5 years now. I have both tanks and a concentrator. The tanks have a regulator allowing up to 15lpm. those are for work or away from home. The concentrator up to 10lpm. That’s my at home option.

I started with a standard mask and my last cycle picked up a non rebreather mask on amazon. 

i use the hyperventilation method and mix in deep breathing when I feel like it. 

all options have been effective for me. Anecdotally, the non rebreather mask works well.  

typical response time is anywhere from 5-20 minute using these options

the research shows 100% 02 anywhere from 7L-12L with any mask options works. Of course there will be some individualization for what works for you. 

hope that helps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xBoss said:

1. How do I use it? Like do you just keep breathing it until you feel better? I was always scared that I would hyperventilate or something.

Review of what the others said and some additional thoughts here.

Hyperventilating is actually good when you're trying to do it.  In general, you will get good results if you exhale deeply before your first inhale of O2 (having drank down an energy shot or some caffeine before you begin), then inhale as deep as you can, hold it for a few beats, and then fully exhale, forcefully, with a "crunch" if you can to get as much as possible out of your lungs.  You can stay on it as long as you need to, plus 5-10 minutes after the attack has been aborted to hold off future attacks).  You'll get the hang of it quickly, and develop your own approach.  Some people will turn down the flow rate and breathe more naturally in later stages.  When you feel better you can read more about hyperventilating here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/4919-batchs-hyperventilation-red-neck-bag/  

Tips: Look down toward your feet as you do the O2.  This helps.  If you have a standard non-rebreather mask, there will probably be an open circle of holes on one side of it (usually, one side has a gasket and one is open). Put your thumb over that circle when you inhale, or cover it with tape.  You don't want any room air mixing with the O2 as you inhale.  For the same reason, make sure you hold the mask firmly to your face -- don't use the strap.

The mask made for CH is very highly regarded:  http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ccp8/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=clustero2kit

3 hours ago, xBoss said:

2. Are high flow valves available or do I have to mod one? I am handy and can do it, just need tips.

You only need a higher flow rate if you have to wait for the bag on your mask to refill while you are using the best breathing strategy.  If you can do what I said above and the bag is full after your full exhale, you're good.  Yes, you can buy higher-flow regs, but as Rod' said, different size tanks take different size regulators.  The two types are CGA870 for smaller medical tanks and CGA540 for larger medical tanks and all welding tanks.  If you go to amazon and type cga 870 into the search bar, you'll see what those look like, and can compare to what you have.  Check with us before you buy.

• Like 1

You understand of course that I'm not a doctor, so this is just my two cents.  It does make the heart race. What I've read is pretty consistent with this quote: "If hyperventilation persists for a long enough period of time, the affected person can develop a temporary tetany, secondary to the changes in calcium. This state is manifested first by tingling in the fingers and lips and then by contractions of the hands and wrists. Finally, a wobbly feeling may appear. This complicated phenomenon is scary, but is reversible and not dangerous." (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/fighting-fear/201206/hyperventilation-and-hyper-hyperventilation)  You might get as far as the tingling part -- Batch recommends it -- but I suspect that because it's a very controlled and limited hyperventilation in the case of Batch's recommended approach -- 30 seconds of room-air hyperventilation in ten three-second cycles followed by 30 seconds of holding in inhaled O2; repeat -- there isn't the risk associated with uncontrolled hyperventilation.  I also suspect that Batch wouldn't recommend  anything dangerous.

While Batch is quite insistent about the positive effects of hyperventilation, and it of course makes complete sense that the clearer your lungs are of room air the faster you'll abort (plus there's something involved related to CO2 that I really don't understand), I think that most people use some kind of modified version of this, expelling as much room air and inhaling as much O2 as possible, and they are generally satisfied with the result they get from that.

..dang...I hate it when the beast finds our address again....

... don't get too hung up on the "right" technique...we all kinda figure out what works best for us...try different styles....

...in my case hyperventilation not usually possible and my best success was a slow in-out (hold in every few) with an attempt to clear my mind of EVERYTHING except "breath" (hard to do... GOOD distraction!)...and calmed me the f@#* down....which was near as critical as the O2...

Best

Jonathan

• Like 2

Awesome, tx guys. I am trying to get this going ASAP. Been getting crushed at night lately. Had a new record last night. I never had extra long hits. Anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours is the norm but last night was 4 hours with the first 3 being bad then it dropped down a peg

Edited by xBoss

1 hour ago, Brain on fire said:

@xBoss stop that! Pleeeeze?

Hoping it was a horrible slapback. I took some MM yesterday and got hit about 4 hours after it wore off. Fingers crossed for tonight. They all happen from 11PM to 6AM. How you doing?