Anybody know about this? Was recommended by neuro with claim to know CH. !!!

Into Light

A neurologist in Bradenton, FL" has recommended the following formulary for me as a CHead. All the literature and the head of information at the company said there were no trials for CH

Does anyone have any information on this. I don't want to take another thing.

EBM MEDICAL 
Formulary for: EB-H4

EB-H4 ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

•    Riboflavin…400mg (Active B2)
•    Coenzyme Q10…100mg (CoQ10)
•    L-methylfolate Ca…400mcg (Active Folate)
•    Magnesium Bisglycinate…350mg

EBM Medical Contact Information
EBMmedical.com
Phone: 636-614-3152
Email: support@EBMmedical.com

image.png.e2efd9abf6d1ed5cea0eb336a159d5bc.png

@BostonHeadacheDoc @Pebblesthecorgi @Brain on fire @spiny @CHfather

I’d say this fits in “if it sounds good it will work” rationale.  It might be in the “what do you have to lose?” Category.  Then again “I’m so smart and experienced so do this” may apply. How about “there is no downside so why not?”    Most of these things in different modalities or combinations have been tried.  The only work that has credibility is the treatment and data Batch has presented.  From a strictly science point of view its easy to poke holes in the data but it’s well presented and he has decent follow up.  I would take someone seriously if they did half the work Batch has done.  In the end we really don’t have any one size fits all answers.  My guess is we will find a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental factors are in play.  It’s hard to imagine a selective advantage that allowed cluster headaches to survive the genetic pool but someday in retrospect it will all make sense.  If it is genetic then I guess we really are all related.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, those are all things that have been tested (some of them extensively) related to migraine, because there is a logic that says they should help.  This is an odd quote from a journal article about three of your four ingredients: "The prophylactic properties of other agents such as magnesium, riboflavin, and coenzyme Q10 are low at best, but their lack of severe adverse effects makes them good alternative treatment options." Like Pebbles' said, this seems to be arguing (regarding migraine), "They probably won't help much, but they can't hurt much, either." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4359851/   Maybe in combination something good happens. I know we have had enthusiasts for each of these elements at different times at the board, and I think studies have shown that magnesium supplementation can be valuable for CH.  

Edited by CHfather
  • Thanks 1

With a bit of research, EBM Medical appears to be a MLM program for healthcare providers. Here's the company explaining how selling their products to patients will up the revenue to one's practice: https://ebmmedicalacademy.com/p/building-practice-revenue1 Curing everything under the sun. And "medical foods" in the form of capsules? That's very iffy, with little science to back it up. FDA does not regulate it (just monitors) so you would be taking whatever gunk someone decides to mush into a capsule. (Note, too, that this EBM site is cash-only, no insurance... in part bc most insurance won't cover such things).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, igdc said:

With a bit of research, EBM Medical appears to be a MLM program for healthcare providers. Here's the company explaining how selling their products to patients will up the revenue to one's practice: https://ebmmedicalacademy.com/p/building-practice-revenue1 Curing everything under the sun. And "medical foods" in the form of capsules? That's very iffy, with little science to back it up. FDA does not regulate it (just monitors) so you would be taking whatever gunk someone decides to mush into a capsule. (Note, too, that this EBM site is cash-only, no insurance... in part bc most insurance won't cover such things).

Thank you @igdc. My "bullshit-meter" is very sensitive, but I do like to get input from my family here before making final decisions. I will just say, "No thank you."

On 4/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, Batch said:

These above supplements have been part of the anti-inflammatory regimen since 2017 although it includes a different salt of magnesium. The Methyl Folate + (B complex) replaced the vitamin B 50/100 complex.  It is formulated the methylated forms of the B vitamins.  These methyated forms of the B vitamins have a higher level of bioactivity and bioequivalence than the non-methylated forms.  I also added the CoQ10 for migraineurs in 2017.  A few chronic CHers have reported starting the CoQ10 helped them progress to a CH pain free state. The Turmeric (Curcumin) is a potent anti-inflammatory that aids in preventing CH and MH.

blKqmZv.jpgjCzVC8s.jpg

The following four supplements are catch-all choices for CHers and Migraineurs who suspect they have a polymorphism of the VDR gene that severely limits a vitamin D3 response or a methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency   Without the VDR protein, the genetically active vitamin D3 metabolite 1,25(OH)2D3 cannot attach to target genes to initiate the genetic expression that down-regulates CGRP, SP, VIP and PACAP neuropeptides responsible for neurogenic inflammation and the pain we know as CH.  Resveratrol and Quercetin have demonstrated the capacity to up-regulate VDR gene expression.  The 3 mg Boron down-regulates 24-Hydroxylase, the enzyme that adds a hydroxyl group to the 24th position on the vitamin D3 molecule.  When 24-hydroxylation takes place, these vitamin D3 molecules are catabolized (broken down) and passed over the side in urine reducing serum vitamin D3 and 25(OH)D3 concentrations effectively lowering the headache preventative effect.

The probiotic helps repopulate and optimize the friendly colonies of bacteria living in the GI tract called the microbiome.  The microbiome plays large roles in digestion, immune functions and in reducing the histamine response to some allergens.

4b9WWzB.jpg

If you add zinc picolinate to the above, you come very close to the following supplements suggested by the Riordan Clinic to staff and patients as an immune boosting strategy to help prevent a COVID-19 infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

1. Vitamin C: 1,000-2,000 mg, 3-4 times a day (to bowel tolerance)
  2. Vitamin D3/K2: 1,000 IU, twice daily
  3. Vitamin A: 10,000 IU, per day
  4. Zinc Picolinate: 30 mg, twice daily with food
  5. Selenium: 200 mcg, 1-2x daily with food

(Note: please implement BEFORE getting ill if possible.)

See following link for details.

https://riordanclinic.org/2020/03/covid-19/

Take care,

V/R, Batch

Don't hijack my thread to COVID links.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I had suffered from cluster headaches for for decades.  The first time was in my twenties and now I am in 57.  A few years ago my general physician recommended taking riboflavin (vitamin B2) daily as a preventative measure.  I started doing that a few years ago and have not had a cluster headache since then.  I understand that the effectiveness of certain treatments varies from person to person, but for me taking riboflavin has had a miraculous impact on my life with no side effects.  Wishing all of you the best.

• Like 1