New Guy, My Cluster Saga

weatherman

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group and here's my CH story.............

Several years ago, when in my early 50's, I started getting allergies for the first time in my life.  Have lived in N California since 1980, worked the same job (Meteorology) for 20 years, married to the same beautiful lady (17 years ), generally active and in pretty good shape.  Initially, it was the congestion, sneezing and running nose all day long.  Then the nasal stuffiness started leading to headaches.  Seemed to always be associated with Spring/Fall, high pollution days and working in the yard.  I tried OTC medications like Sudafed, Tylenol, etc and had pretty good luck for awhile.

I was tested for allergic reactions to everything ...... the usual grasses, pollens and trees.  Food, molds, animals ... even cement!  No reaction to anything.  Flonaise and nasal rinses gave me partial comfort, but the cranial pressure was just unbearable at times.  Then the real fun began with the serious headaches.

The first attack was after a plane flight to Colorado (from Calif) and after getting on the ground, renting a car and driving about 20 miles ... it hit me hard.  The intensity of the pain was unreal.  I could see, but not process the visual information because the agony was actually absorbing all of my consciousness.  I pulled off the road and paced the highway for a 1/2 hour thinking my head was going to burst.  I'd never experienced pain like this before and nearly went crazy.  I chewed enough aspirin and Migraine medicine to make me sick.  Next one wasn't for several months, then they started coming more frequently.

About a year ago, when the reality of the anguish became established, I began badgering my doctor for answers.  Hot showers and applying pressure to the temple/eye area was no longer working.  After full health screenings, more allergy tests, CT Scans, blood-work, etc, etc, there were still no results.  That was when I was first told about Cluster Headaches.  After reading the list of Signs and Symptoms, I nearly fell over.  I had every one of them.  That was several months ago and I've been keeping records of the events and and using the Clusterbuster Pain Tracker Scale to keep track of them now.

My next step is supposedly Oxygen.  Fresh air, ice packs and vigorous exercise sometimes help.  But when they hit in the middle of the night (usually midnight to 3am), its hard to get up and do these things.  Tolerating the pain, because I know it will only last 15-25 minutes, is all I've been doing.  In the past, when the headaches last several hours, the aftermath exhaustion would put me down for awhile.  Now, it's not quite so bad. 

Have been accumulating information like a sponge lately and finally found this group.  My heart goes out to some of you folks that have been suffering with CH for years.  I absolutely can't imagine the strength you must have for enduring so much pain.

I suppose I'm a Chronic case.  I get them 2-3 days a week and usually my days off work, Thurs-Sun.  There seems to be no remission period as this pattern has endured for almost a year with no more than 10 days of pain-free time since early 2009.  I've come to loath the weekends.

Being male, 50+ yrs old, occasional drinker and working rotating shifts has apparently condemned me to this situation.  Thank you for listening.  I'll take all the suggestions, advice and encouragement imaginable.

Weatherman

Welcome Weatherguy,

Your in the right place, there's lots of people here with great advice and stories.

I can't believe that story exactly mirrors mine. Couple years ago started to get allergies from out of nowhere, then started getting random disabling headaches for a couple days at a time now it's worked its way up to 4-5 nights a week of knock me down attacks.

I'm just a newbee here ,but reading the advice and logs from the long termers here is helpful.

The energy drinks work for a quick relief, ice packs, and what I've been prescribed Etodalac(anti Inflammatory) and Butalbital(Caffine/acitimiphine). These work prettywell given time.

Just started 02, trying to find my way.

good luck to you, hope someone here passes on some knowledge you find helpful

....So what is the forecast? ;D

Hey man, sorry you had the need to find us. We are all proud members of this...the "Board of the Damned". Not really, thanks to the people and treatments I have found here I have been reborn, so to speak.

Oxygen at 15LPM and the non-rebreather mask is the first thing that you HAVE TO DO. It makes an unbearable situation bearable.

Your story is just like our stories. Simply amazing to read all of the symptoms of cluster headache and it fit like a glove isn't it?

When you get to where you find yourself "On the ledge" you will be ready to try mushrooms. Seems as though one has to be on ones last leg before trying them. They have been used to treat headaches for 1000 years. The problem is that they are illegal and no Doctor will tell you "The Secret".

They may well save your life as they have mine.

Ask questions and read. We are all here to help one another.

Dan

Thanks Dave O, Alleyoop, Bonkers and Hipshot...

I have not tried the O2 yet and may quickly seek that remedy.  Now that my knowledge base (thanks to all of you and this group) has increased exponentially, this seems the next thing to try.  I'll surely probe for specifics on it's use when the time comes.  At least my doctor is "on board" with that solution and is actually ready to start me on it whenever I am willing.

I'm really much more secure with the plant-based remedies than prescription drugs.  Now that my pain threshold has reached levels that I never imagined possible, absolutely anything will be tried.  I've used mushrooms and psilocybin before.

Since I'm quite the "Chili-Head" and love extremely hot peppers, I'm going to do some experimenting with the effects of capsaicin on busting these headaches.  I grow the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Chili's), so they are now waiting for the next episode.  I've eaten them without headaches, and the experience can be transcendental.  It's a whole new avenue of fighting pain with pain.  As you all know, when it hurts that bad, you'll try anything!

Thanks again for the speedy replies, I'll keep ya posted on the results.

Weatherman

ps    Forecast is getting sunnier by the day

Since I'm quite the "Chili-Head" and love extremely hot peppers, I'm going to do some experimenting with the effects of capsaicin on busting these headaches.I grow the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Chili's), so they are now waiting for the next episode.I've eaten them without headaches, and the experience can be transcendental.It's a whole new avenue of fighting pain with pain.As you all know, when it hurts that bad, you'll try anything!

lol...

Brings to mind a little ditty by The Bellamy Brothers...

Cool little ditty. The Belamy Brothers have come up with some good tunes over the years. I hadn't heard that one.

Weatherman, it's a good thing that you have tried mushrooms in the past; as a lot of us have. You will be much less apprehensive and more prone to be willing try them.

Read up on the molecule and how it blocks the receptors which in turn block the attack. All well documented and believe me...for the majority of sufferers they prove to be a miracle.

Dan