Ego bashing

Pebblesthecorgi

This recently published study looked at ego dissolution associated with the use of psilocybin (as a proxy for the classic hallucinogens).  One article is the popular press report and the other is source material.  This is interesting because of the noted affects on the frontal cortex.  It also looks at downstream changes from alterations of serotonin receptors in the glutamate transmittors.  In the context of this forum it is brought to attention because the article highlights 1) many unforeseen neural interactions triggered by psychedelic interventions, 2) highlights the relative safety of properly administrated psychedelics and 3) helps understand some of the long lasting positive  "side effects" these molecules may provide.

ego and psilocybin.pdf

First-of-Its-Kind Study Hints at How Psilocybin Works in The Brain to Dissolve Ego.pdf

• Like 1

That report was from 2018 and the article referenced was a 2016 study.  There has been a fair amount of basic science research paralleling the human studies (anxiety, PTSD, end of life, cluster headaches) over the last decade which built on the experiences from the late 50's through the war on drugs in the early 70"s.  Personally I just want relief from the pain and to be able to function without fear of sleep or any other trigger I can imagine.  Along my road of self directed treatment and care I finally tried what I considered to be a recreational drug.  The experience altered the course of my life in ways I had not anticipated.  Articles discussing basic science, other treatments, mechanism of action and safety are really important because they provide clues as to the mechanism of action for things like cluster headaches.  The bigger issue is safety.  Because psychedelics are a hot topic and because any human studies require pharmacology, physiology and safety data we have lots of good info on safety and the experience of others on how best to ingest these unique substances.  For people looking for options and solutions who have no experience with illegal drugs and or psychedelics its important to have some data on risks and benefits.  Ego loss is a big deal coming out of the 60's and Tim Leary proselytizing and its interesting to read theory's  how it could happen neurochemically.

Poland book is one of several relatable books showing up in this psychedelic ‘rediscovery’.  They all sort of follow the same pattern adding the writers unique experience and perspective.  The history and fables are all derivative from the early 60s.  The value of these stories. In popular press is it reinforces the safety of psychedelics properly used and clearly shows efficacy in managing some very difficult to treat conditions.  There is so  much valuable info out there to understand the busting option.  Most of the studies regard mental health but we have much to learn about these substances from other users.  I firmly believe each person exploring a treatment which is illegal must understand what they wish to accomplish, how to use the medicine safely and effectively.   Ultimately one must break from societal mores in order to try this treatment

• Like 1