Emgality - so mad, am I wrong, will it work differently

dehabel

So, I got my new doctor - who is soon to be my old doctor to prescribe Emgality today.  He prescribed 240 mg. for me and then he said 120 a month.  I told him for clusters it is 300 mg and he said he did not want to start me with that.  He also questioned my decision not to take Topamax because of he side effects.  I truly do not like him.

Is this going to be a fail before I even start because of the mg he is prescribing? 

thanks, 

Chrissy

dehabel,

Sadly, your doctor is clearly in the dark on dosage.  At the CB conference last year there was a really good presentation on Emgality.  It was stated and backed up by multiple people in the crowd (that were in the Emgality trial).  The standard migraine dose does nothing for those of us with CH.  If I recall correctly, I think it also only helps with episodic.  That Chronics it doesn't work at all.  (I'm sure someone will chime in here and correct me if that's backwards).  Sometimes doctors are clueless and sadly some have an ego that prevents them from getting the education to help their patients.  IMHO, I'd fire him and get another doc (if you can).  I concur with your decision on dopomax also.  (as the CH community commonly call it).  I know it does help some people, but at what cost?  I couldn't work if I didn't have my wits every moment of the day.

Keep us posted,

J

• Like 1

Both my husband and daughter have episodic cluster headaches.   My daughter took the 300mg of Emgality and it worked great for her.  My husband took 300mgs one month before his cycle starts then again a month later.   He was doing better at the start of the cycle and then today had an attack...definitely a 10 + .  We were cautiously optimistic this would work...and the viscous beast still found his way back in.   The Vitamin D regimine didn't work for him.  We were so excited and hopeful about Emgality.  

Exhausted and Extremely disappointed!