Me again... prednisone

dehabel

So, yesterday I had the worst headache that started the morning before and I was afraid I was dehydrated so I went to walk-in clinic.  Not dehydrated, just a special treat during this cluster cycle.  So, the doctor prescribed Prednisone.  I take 6 then 5 then 4...and so on.  Now, I remember in my next to last spell about ten years ago my neurologist prescribed steroids, I don't quite remember how he presribed them.  This guy was not a neurologist and I don't trust the one I am dealing with right now, so does that sound right for steroids?  I feel like it does.  I started the D3 regimen three days ago, praying that works also.  

Thanks, 

Chrissy

@dehabel 

It sounds like what you were prescribed is a medrol dose pack. I have been prescribed one three times last year, once when I got my wisdom teeth out and twice for headaches. I didn’t have any side effects any of the times I took it. They are dangerous LONG TERM. But for 5 days you should be fine. I would take it. Any relief is appreciated. For clusters I would talk to my neurologist about verapamil (a calcium channel blocker), a standard cluster preventative. Safe to take with the vitamin d regimen. It may take a few days maybe even up to a few weeks to see results from the regimen. Don’t give up. 

• Like 3

Steroids can provide some relief but generally they need to be in higher doses (60-100mg a day) for a couple of weeks.  As stated by others, they can be a bridge until other preventatives kick in or as a way of getting some rest in an otherwise brutal cycle.  You’ll hear directions to wean off high doses but that’s mostly to prevent mood swings.  If a dose pack works for you,great, but don’t abandon the option if it doesnt work.