When you know better but do it anyway!

mit12

I have had my clusters under controll for a while but the migraines are kicking my butt. I got caught up in the Triptan rabbit hole 36 Zomig in 6 weeks, followed by 36 in 30 days. The migraines were consuming my life again. I stopped the D3 program and I decided that I needed to stop taking Zomig! This set my migraines into over drive until one day when I hade Cluster events during the migraines for 2 days, the following day I was headache free. I started up the D3 program again. Its been a week and so far its been way better. I am getting short migraines that start about 3 pm and last until about 11 pm. I am able to get rid of them without taking anything. I hope that by me posting this I can stop someone from going down this path.

• Like 1

@mit12 

sounds like it’s been a crazy few weeks! I also experience migraines. It’s a combination of the weather and heat down here in Florida. Some very strong ginger helps get rid of them. My mom thinks I’m crazy for saying I would rather have a migraine every day all day for the rest of my life than have anything near a cluster headache. Which do you find are harder to deal with for you? 

Hi Mitt,

I am in a similar situation. I have chronic migraine and chronic paroxysmale hemicrania. CPH is only triggered during migraine attacks, never on it's own... that is very weird. Usually between 10 and 20 attacks/day during a 3 days migraine period. 

Started with indomethacin a few months ago... have not gotten any sign of CPH since. But as indomethacin is not the kind of medicine to take long term, we decided now on another strategy. Propanolol (Inderal) to suppress the migraine, in the hope the CPH will not get activated anymore and will stay away as well. I hope that works out...

Never got luck with D3. I take all these vitamins for over 3 years now but because of other benefits they have. It has not made any difference in my headaches...unfortunately

I also got the sumatriptan injections now. It doesn't work for migraine. I barely feel any difference. Zomig is 100x better for migraine. For CH it works because a very fast effect is needed.

siegfried

Siegfried,

yes I have been chronic migraine for most of my life. I used to get clusters at least 3 days a week but I have never had a cluster without having a migraine first. My attacks are also long, 3 to 5 hour hits with 30 minutes between hits. I busted a few years ago and I got my clusters under controll but I can not seem to get the migraines under controll. Seeds seemed to help but they are no longer working for the migraines.

Yes, migraine is hard to beat and is very much underestimated. I once have been to a meeting for migraine patients and most of them, sometimes very young, their lives were completely destroyed. Not only from the migraine itself but from all the medications they took and the side effects of these medications. They were not able to have a normal life. Big problem with migraine is the high chance on rebound or medication dependent headaches. It's a spiral that once you are in, it goes only downhill.

I have been very lucky that somehow oxygen worked for my migraine, which is highly unusual. It can abort around 70 % of the attacks, now for around 8 years now I am using that. 

I am on my 5th day of Inderal now. So far, so good... no headaches for now. Not taking the indomethacin anymore. Only problem is that my heartbeat is only around 45b/min and that on 80 mg. I normally should build up to 160 mg but with such a low heartbeat, I don't think that is going to work.