Zolmitriptan AM/PM

Tomas

Hello. I'm in the middle of a crisis that usually lasts four weeks and happens roughly every year, with up to three very strong headaches per day. What is different about this time is that almost every night, the pain starts while I'm sleeping, which doesn't allow me to do something before it gets so intense that it can't be stopped. However, I wanted to share with you that I started using the nasal zolmitriptan medication (which in Colombia -S.A.- is called Zolnox) not only as an abortive method but also as a preventive method, before I go to sleep and right after I wake up. I've been doing this for the last four days and I've been pain free. 

• Like 1

The triptan medications are labeled not for prevention but my experience agrees with yours....taking an oral or long acting version will allow you to get sleep.  There is a trade off though...you are likely to start getting rebound headaches from using the triptan regularly.  You may also “time shift” the occurrence of the headache.  Triptan use can also extend a cycle.  Being awaken with a full blown cluster headache is very characteristic of cluster headaches and often how they initially present.  Hopefully you can get some O2 to abort and lim it reliance on triptans.  Sooner or later you will pay a price for daily use and its not pretty.

• Like 2

Zomig works wonders for me but it is a double edged sword, it stops the attack but it also extends the cycle. For me the only way to end the cycle is to get off the Zomig  for at least 7 days or I am back in another cycle. I try to only loose Zomig when I am on vacation so I can enjoy my time while I am there and not ruin it for my wife. 

• Like 1

Hi Tomas,

If you want to take triptans this way, you should switch to a triptan with a long half-life. I currently thinking of Naratriptan or Frovatriptan. These two are also more gentle and cause less side effects. But I agree with other posters... trying to get through your cycle with triptans is not a good idea. You must try other means.

All the best !

siegfried

• Like 1