Oxygen ROCKS

kat_92

holy crap! 

I just used oxygen for the first time (correctly) to abort an attack. At 20 lpm, for about 6 min, 10 lpm to follow slowly. Wow. Now, my tank only goes up to 5 lpm unfortunately, so I can probably not get many aborts per tank. I am having serious anxiety about this. I’m hoping my supplier Can give me more than one tank at a time. I’m calling tomorrow to ask. Just wanted to share some positivity. 

Kat 

• Like 3

kat', sooooo happy to read this.   You want an M tank or an H tank (plus you want to keep your smaller tank for portability).  Those are the big ones.   The big tanks are heavy, so you might also want a stand, or particularly a rolling stand if you have to move them.  Now that you know more about O2 working for you, you can consider using welding O2, too, if your supplier is not cooperative.  Since they make more money when they provide you a larger tank (or tanks), and have less hassle from having to constantly replace the smaller tanks, you'd think they'd be interested.  

If you get a bigger tank, or any kind of welding tank, you'll need a different type of regulator.  An O2 supplier will know this, but you'll need to know it if you go the welding route or if you decide to buy a higher-lpm regulator than the one the O2 supplier would give you.  Keep us informed.

• Like 1

CHF thanks for the reply. I have an M tank and my regulator goes up to 25lpm and I have a second regulator that goes up to 15. The issue with welding o2, how would I even get them to let me rent tanks? I don’t think tbey would believe me haha. Also, how high does the flow rate go on a welding tank. When the doc prescribes it they can say 0-10 lpm on the prescription. 

Thanks 

kat

kat',
This file has answers to your questions: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/5627-notes-about-welding-o2/

In brief: Typically, welding tanks are bought, not rented.  They have no reason to ask you any questions; there are no legal restrictions for getting welding O2.  If they do ask, they are just chatting.  In the file, there are some suggested possible answers if you are asked.  Plenty of women weld, or use welding O2 for other things, such as art projects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeaMj2m_Wj4   My wife and daughter both get my daughter's welding O2 regularly.  

The flow rate is determined by your regulator, not by the type of tank you have.  Since you have an M tank, your regulator is the right kind for a welding tank (in my previous post, I was assuming you had a smaller tank).  

Just as an unrelated note, the prescription for medical O2 can be written for 15lpm. That's how most are written.

Kat 

if your oxygen is being delivered to you you will want to be good friends with the delivery person. Most likely they do not know how many tanks you are supposed to have so when you place your order for 3 tanks and only leave 2 tanks out for the exchange 9 times out of 10 they will just take the 2 tanks and leave you 3. You can build your stash like this over time so you do not worry about running out over a long holiday weekend or anything. Just stay on top or your refills and build up your stock pile of tanks slowly. you will get the hang of how much O2 you will need per hit and be able to keep your supply well stocked for when things take a turn for the worst. A few extra tanks and regulators will save your ass one weekend and you will be so happy you were prepared. Your other option would to be just ask the supplier for more tanks but I have ever know that to work out very well.  

I am glad to hear you had success... 

• Like 3

What the doctor wrote the script for is really irrelevant to your O2 use.  The lpm settings you use from the regulator that you put on the tank are the only factors that affect how much O2 you are using.  An M tank holds about 1700 liters of O2.  That means that if you use a setting of 20 liters per minute, you will have about 85 minutes of O2 in the tank (1700 liters in the tank being used at 20 liters per minute; 1700 divided by 20 = 85).  The higher your lpm settings, the faster you will go through the oxygen that's in the tank, but that is not affected by anything related to the script that the doctor wrote.

Edited by CHfather
  • Like 2

...get yourself a hobby...we'll call it "welding"...you can get a whole lot of welding O2 for 78 bucks.....and you can turn the dang flow to hurricane level if ya want...they really don't care what you are gonna do with it.... just DON'T say yur gonna breath it...if you feel more comfortable with a cover story tell 'em you need it for your dad, brother, mom, sister, S.O...whoever....as they are indisposed right now. this has the benefit of allowing any and all neophyte questions.....

in bocca al lupo,

jonathan

• Like 1