How do triptans (Relpax) affect magic mushrooms?

SahrThundermane

It's the beginning of migraine season for me, and I've just started taking Relpax (40mg oral tab) to treat them. 

I've been experimenting a lot with shrooms the past 2-3 months, and I'm wondering how the use of the eletriptan once or twice a week will affect the mushrooms. Does it cause tolerance to psilocybin? If I took Relpax today and on Thursday, would I be able to trip tomorrow (Sunday) or should I wait 5-7 days? I'd like to also get into a routine of using shrooms to treat migraines, but at work I need to rely on the triptans and just want to know how they will affect my trip. 

Triptans block the MM. You will get no benefit from them if you are taking triptans. So, if you can hang in there for five days, the MM should work. As a side note, some will take a SPUT, which is a small piece under tongue of a mushroom. You cannot do this daily either, but a SPUT in the middle of your detox period will not block your bust. A small piece is about the size of your thumbnail. Put it under your tongue or in your cheek for perhaps 30 minutes and it will often abort the attack. Perhaps this will help you get through that medicine free period that you need for success. Cheers! :) 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spiny said:

Triptans block the MM. You will get no benefit from them if you are taking triptans. So, if you can hang in there for five days, the MM should work. As a side note, some will take a SPUT, which is a small piece under tongue of a mushroom. You cannot do this daily either, but a SPUT in the middle of your detox period will not block your bust. A small piece is about the size of your thumbnail. Put it under your tongue or in your cheek for perhaps 30 minutes and it will often abort the attack. Perhaps this will help you get through that medicine free period that you need for success. Cheers! :) 

That's about what I've read browsing on here and shroomery. Is the SPUT typically a threshold dose or sub-threshold? I'd like to try it for managing migraines at work because the side effects of the triptans are undesirable, but I can't work tripping on shrooms lol. 

Usually my migraines aren't within 5 days if each other unless there's a low pressure system or something, so 5 days triptan free hopefully is doable. What do you mean by "will not block your bust"? 

Prevent it from working. Read the blue banner above - New Users, Read here first.

You can type in the search bar at the top what topic you want to read about and it will bring up other threads where 'blocking' has been used.

A SPUT will not make you high or make you trip. It is a tiny amount that can abort a hit. 

Most of the info you will get here regards Cluster headaches.  Cluster headaches are not migraine headaches.  There is some treatment overlap with triptans and CGRP meds but the mechanism of attack and treatment response are different.  Oxygen therapy does not really help migraines.  MM have had disappointing results for migraines as well.  The effect of MM on spirituality, coping and managing chronic conditions transcend many conditions.  That alone is a benefit many appreciate.  D3 protocols seem to have positive effects for migraines according to info Batch has posted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pebblesthecorgi said:

Most of the info you will get here regards Cluster headaches.  Cluster headaches are not migraine headaches.  There is some treatment overlap with triptans and CGRP meds but the mechanism of attack and treatment response are different.  Oxygen therapy does not really help migraines.  MM have had disappointing results for migraines as well.  The effect of MM on spirituality, coping and managing chronic conditions transcend many conditions.  That alone is a benefit many appreciate.  D3 protocols seem to have positive effects for migraines according to info Batch has posted.

Yes, I'm mainly using the MM to help with general anxiety disorder after coming off SSRIs over 6 months ago and I'd rather never go on them again. This website seemed the best to find out how the mushrooms would interact with the triptans I use for my migraines, while also possibly pointing me towards using psilocybin for migraines as well, though that wasn't my original intention. 

I did find the playing well with others article after researching some more, so I found the answer to my question anyway but the replies have been very helpful as well. 

Would the fact I've had good luck treating migraines with triptans possibly mean psilocybin will work as well? 

Edited by SahrThundermane

I think that you will add to Citizen Science by posting your personal results! I have heard yes and no to MM helping with migraines. One CHer has a wife with migraines. She was having one while prepping his MM for him. Her migraine went away! She still uses it for that so far as I know. It is worth a shot! 

We would appreciate your input if you try it, so please let us know about your personal experience!

ATB

The pain I get is similar to how CH is described, but the rest of the symptoms fit migraines better. I've never had a diagnosis since they respond well to triptans and I've never had to search further than that for relief. 

The other night I felt my classic tells that I would have a migraine the next morning: watery eyes, extremely dry mouth and thirst, neck pain and stiffness, yawning, and pressure behind my eyes. I tried the SPUT method mentioned on here with a very small dose of shrooms (about 0.15g) held under my tongue for about 20-30 minutes and did not wake up with any sign of a headache at all! Even if that's just coincidence or placebo I didn't have to spend another Monday dying of a migraine. 

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep experimenting with the magic mushrooms and hopefully be able to post some more migraine results for anyone in my same boat. 

• Like 1