Imigran Injections Discontinued?

CH Africa

Hi Everyone, 

I get a cluster cycle once a year which lasts for about 4-8 weeks! I count myself lucky not to be chronic. Over the past 20 odd years, I have managed to get through these cycles with O2 as well as the odd Imigran Injection. These were especially helpful if I had to travel overseas. 

Now for the past two years, I have not been able to get any Imigran Injections in South-Africa. First I was told that the manufacturing was moved to a new plant which required new import permits into SA. The last communication I received from GSK (Glaxo Smith Klein) was the following: "Unfortunately GSK has discontinued the Imigran Injection. This discontinuation will affect not only South Africa but other countries as well."

Anyone aware of this or have any news on this? 

...ask your pharmacist if they can get the Teva generic..

https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/sumatriptan-injection-usp-autoinjector

...if you are using the 6 pack vials their supply is sporadic vs the stat dose if available at all..

...as an alternative the 5 mg nasal spray Zomig formerly from Astra Zeneca...now Amneal worked as well for me with lesser side effects

https://zomig.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQcaW9Xpzm_hGTRHyo0ZTnAU2FsR35-Pg-Igc2wr2ZyEGVsiRDGUXZ4aAhhMEALw_wcB

best

jonathan

Thanks, it seems as if the demand locally for even the generic is so low that it is just not viable for them to sell it in SA. I have been put in contact with a non-profit company that sources medicine on behalf of clients not commercially available. Will give them a go. I will forward them the suggestion given. Appreciate the advice. 

• 1 year later...

Hi @Sumari, sorry I don't know the availability status of imigran injections.

If your dad has any left, and if they are 6 mg, he can actually get 3 aborts, instead of just one, from one syringe, with the extending imitex tip successfully used by legions of clusterheads for a good couple decades now.

19 hours ago, Sumari said:

......Imigran injections.......that's all that helps....

I imagine it is the only prescription medicine that has helped so far, but non-pharmaceutical approaches have been found to be more effective, with high success rates, as seen at the blue New Users - Please Read Here First banner at the top of the page ^^^^.

Also if 100% oxygen at a high flow rate is at all available, it is a non-toxic abortive that can be an effective replacement for imigran in most instances.

• Like 1