How easy is it to get blood work for Vitamin D, calsium and PTH in your country and related issues

Tony Only

I have been asking for prices this week to have these measured in my town. Cheapest price in my city is around $270 for Vitamin D, calcium and PTH together. Unfortunately I can't afford that.

We have a public healthcare system and it is just about impossible to have Vitamin D measured there. Maybe once to make sure there is no deficiency but if you say you are using supplements the instruction is to stop using supplements. If I have had other health issues and high Vitamin D level, I have always been instructed to stop taking vitamin supplements before receiving any kind of care. Should I take costly lab tests on private sector, those would affect my care in public sector since they see the results. So it is kind if forbidden to have high Vitamin D levels over here.

Lucky ones have health care in private sector via occupational health or insurance but majority are under public health services. I was wondering how is this in other countries ? Finland has a good reputation about public health services which overall in practise ain't that great.

Edited by Tony Only

My doctor does them as she knows that I supplement and why I do it. So, no extra, just part of annual blood work. They can be ordered privately too, but I am not sure of the expense. It varies by area it seems.

It stinks that you are penalized for supplementing when your head clearly benefits from it. Another reason to be happy that Batch is succeeding in getting a trial going. Too bad it will take time to implement across the globe!!

ATB!!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spiny said:

It stinks that you are penalized for supplementing when your head clearly benefits from it. Another reason to be happy that Batch is succeeding in getting a trial going. Too bad it will take time to implement across the globe!!

It's a bit of a twisted logic - Vitamin D is added to our food in Finland since we are Vitamin D deficient as a nation (no sun during winters) but then again if you supplement it's dangerous and we are already getting "too much" from food that has added Vitamin D. This heated discussion has lasted for decades. Few key doctors who dare to disagree are out of doctor's union. Research will change the world.

• Like 2

if you dig deep enough, you will find that the recommended dose of 400UI/day should be 4,000UI/day. They messed up and moved a decimal point in the way back and have yet to correct it. Say they are fixing it, but no change so far. 

That is rather crazy that they toss the doctors who are right!!! Have they factored in the use of sunscreen that blocks what light you do get? Australia did not and they have many young women who suffer from Osteoporosis now. That really sucks!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Tony Only said:

I have been asking for prices this week to have these measured in my town. Cheapest price in my city is around $270 for Vitamin D, calcium and PTH together. Unfortunately I can't afford that.

We have a public healthcare system and it is just about impossible to have Vitamin D measured there. Maybe once to make sure there is no deficiency but if you say you are using supplements the instruction is to stop using supplements. If I have had other health issues and high Vitamin D level, I have always been instructed to stop taking vitamin supplements before receiving any kind of care. Should I take costly lab tests on private sector, those would affect my care in public sector since they see the results. So it is kind if forbidden to have high Vitamin D levels over here.

Lucky ones have health care in private sector via occupational health or insurance but majority are under public health services. I was wondering how is this in other countries ? Finland has a good reputation about public health services which overall in practise ain't that great.

@Tony Only Is https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testing/itemlc081950/vitamin-d-25-hydroxy-blood-test (though that's only Vit D) an option for your country? If not, I can help you pay for a test in Finland if you need it. I'm not wealthy but I want to help!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, trjonas said:

@Tony Only Is https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testing/itemlc081950/vitamin-d-25-hydroxy-blood-test (though that's only Vit D) an option for your country? If not, I can help you pay for a test in Finland if you need it. I'm not wealthy but I want to help!

Thank you @trjonas that is so sweet of you :)

Here's an update: After writing these posts I quit taking the Batch regimen (anti-inflammatory regimen) because was forced to do so in public healthcare. I had been leaving "god please help me" messages to the neurology department in my town. In november we had a baby, our baby was in intensive care and as parents we were staying in hospital 24/7 me starting to get CH attacks again. It was difficult even to get O2 treatment in hospital which kind of gave me perspective and real life experience how far behind we still are here in CH treatment. But then one day the neurologist called. He backed me in using anti-inflammatory regimen, I started it back up and public healthcare was forced to give me heathcare. My calcium was checked and it was ok. I can now get my Vitamin D level checked this fall, taking the Batch regimen daily again.

I had to use some Lucy in the sky with diamonds to terminate the cycle that tried to get going; me being open with it we are now clients in child welfare services and I'm labeled a drug user. At this point, I don't mind - don't have time to worry about it, but will work for the rest of my life so that no one should go through what we went through.

But things are good now CH wise ;)

• Like 2

Tony, congratulations on your new family member!! :wub: I pray that all ended well in that department!!

I am delighted that you killed that cycle too! It is criminal, in my book, to penalize you for 'doing what had to be done'. Big hugs my friend!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spiny said:

Tony, congratulations on your new family member!! :wub: I pray that all ended well in that department!!

I am delighted that you killed that cycle too! It is criminal, in my book, to penalize you for 'doing what had to be done'. Big hugs my friend!!! 

Thank You so much @spiny - all ended well :) sending *hugs*

Edited by Tony Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1