Permanent Eye Swelling/ Problems

Claudia09

I was diagnosed with Cluster Headaches in Jan 2019. Since then, I've only had 3 short episodes, the first one being the worst. Since the first major episode in early 2019, I've been lucky and only had two one-week less-severe bouts. However, my left eye continues to be extremely swollen underneath... it's like a small lump below my left eye. The swelling just won't go away. My last one-week episode was four months ago now and still, I have major swelling under my eye. Plus, just this last week I noticed a bit of chemosis on my left eye as well. I'm wondering if this is related at all to having suffered from clusters or if anyone else has these long-lasting affects. I am going to the eye doctor to get it checked out but just seems too much of a coincidence since it's the cluster side of my face. Any advice is very welcome!

....you're doing the right thing by having it checked....it does seem odd that one of the usually transient symptoms of a beast visit would remain...but myself and others have reported a permanent constriction of the hit side pupil...multiple eye docs/neuros just look at it and shrug so i've stopped worrying about it....

best

jonathan

• 1 month later...

I’ve never had swelling below the eye, but with each attack during a cycle, I notice that behind (and slightly above) my right eyeball feels swollen. It’s not a lump feeling though. It goes away though after each attack. That spot for me is the center of the pain and it radiates down to cheek, upper teeth on right side, back of head on right side and even to my right ear. 

I feel increased pressure in my eye when an attack is on the way during the day. It feels like the eye itself is swollen. 

If you search the Trigeminal Nerve, you will see the whole area affected by your hit. It is the whole side of your face and head. All served by the same nerve, it just branches off all over the place. 

I would see the eye doctor about the swelling though. You can never be too careful where your eyes are concerned.