Was there low pressure yesterday?

TakinitEZ

Several years ago I was convinced that barometric pressure must have been triggering my headaches.  With the help of a little software program, I actually recorded the pressure and the direction it was going for every hit in my diary for a couple of months.  The results were inconclusive. :-/

Several years ago I was convinced that barometric pressure must have been triggering my headaches.

I still think the solstice has some effect triggering episodes. Never thought about the barometric pressure triggering attacks. Braine surgen am I.

the bb

TakinitEZ,

You are indeed correct about having a spike in low pressure with the storm that went through Pennsylvania on Tuesday.  Not sure where you're located, but the State College area (central region) saw peak surface air pressure falls to 29.6 "Hg (1001 mb) as the front passed.   This is a pretty good drop, although it is typical for winter storms that transit the northeastern US.

For reference:    Current surface air pressure at State College is 30.2 “ mg (inches   

of mercury), which is also 1022.7 mb (milli-bars) and rising!!

Standard air pressure is 29.92”mg (1013 mb)

Dec 01 storm passage was 29.6 “mg (1001 mb)

GOOD NEWS with rapid rise in pressure through the next week. 

I have also monitored / recorded air pressure, humidity, air quality and temperature for at least a year trying to connect all the headaches I was having to some sort of allergy or environmental cause.  I didn’t find any correlations with air quality and temperature that were mostly suspected, but DID notice that times of low pressure tended to coincide with the worst headaches.  This now made sense as airplane flights, trips to the mountains, long car rides (yes, pressure is lowered in a fast moving car) and storms passing were apparently triggers for CH.  Of the last three cold fronts impacting northern California since Nov 19, I've been hit twice.

There must be some connection between atmospheric pressure, especially when it drops fairly quickly, and the hypothalamus or vascular systems of the body.  I’d almost bet that the rapid pressure falls will combine with something else that end's up providing one type of trigger for some of us ..... and surely myself.

There’s always Siberia in the Winter… :P   (world’s record high pressure, 1088 mb)  HA!

Good Luck EZ and everyone finding there triggers and cures !!!!

Weatherman

ThereÂ’s always Siberia in the WinterÂ… Tongue (worldÂ’s record high pressure, 1088 mb)HA!

Hey Weatherman! 

Do me a favor and check out the weather and pressure for Ajijic, MX.  After a 4 week stay in the area a few years ago, this chronic went pain free for 6 months, even after coming back to the Atlanta area. 

TakinitEZ and alleyoop,

Sorry for late reply, first time in 8 days I haven't been hit with a K=6-7 through the morning hours.  I was soooo happy, loaded 1/2 cord of wood, put up the outdoor Xmas lights, then chased my wife around the house for awhile.  Seems the K=0 days are getting farther apart.  At least my O2 has arrived and Optimask from Clusterbusters is in the mail.

WOW, Ajijic is an incredible place.  Nat'l Geographic rated 2nd best climate.  Although the elevation is moderately high (5,200 ft), it has very little temperature variation month to month and season to season.  Very steady atmospheric pressure in a semi-tropical climate, outside the Monsoon season June-Sept, as the Chapala Lake Basin stays pinned between the large thermal trough over the Gulf of California and high pressure over the Gulf of Mexico for most of the year.  No storm fronts pass the region either, but strong thunderstorms do occur in summer.

Compared to the states of Pennsylvania and Georgia, Ajijic is severely challenged in pressure variation.  Nearly constant humidity also.  This may be the reason for lesser occurrences of CH.  It's only a guess.  All the clean mountain air surely couldn't hurt either.  Outside the rainy season, the weather is quite docile overall.

I have no idea if this helps, but would certainly consider vacationing (or heck, even moving there) in the future.   8-)

Weatherman

I have no idea if this helps, but would certainly consider vacationing (or heck, even moving there) in the future. 

Thanks Weatherman!

That's exactly what one of our members (Xeno on this board) did.  He retired to Ajijic.  I was there visiting him, I believe from March to April and didn't see a drop of rain the whole four weeks I was there.  I understand that it was their hottest time of the year.  Temps were in the mid to upper 80's -- not at all uncomfortable.

Xeno did a presentation at the Clusterbusters Conference in Austin about this phenomenon.  He titled it, "Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude." :D :D