Alcohol as a "trigger"

CHfather

My daughter and I are of different views about this.  She likes her drink now and then, and she insists that white wine or scotch are not "triggers" because she doesn't get CH attacks immediately or soon after imbibing.  I say that I notice a difference in the severity of her night-time attacks when she's had a drink or two in the evening or later. (And I have read in so many places that alcohol is just plan bad during your cycle.)

Can you inform me about this?  I read the thread about triggers (alcohol, alcohol, alcohol), but by "trigger" do you mean that an attack follows more or less immediately, or just that it will catch up with you sometime?  Since my daughter's attacks almost always occur at night, I'm figuring that alcohol just "triggers" them more severely then, but that it does affect her.

She's not a heavy drinker, but as I say she does like one or two (or, sometimes, three) a day, and she enjoys them and they help her relax.  I hate to insist on her losing this pleasure if I'm wrong.

As always, thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No easy answer to this one. For some, an alcoholic drink of any kind, on cycle, will bring a hit within minutes. For some, only certain types of alcohol, the red wines, dark liquors etc., are triggers, then there are some that claim alcohol seems to make no difference at all on or off cycle.

As with so many aspects of the beast, careful monitoring of your own reactions is the only way to be sure.

Joe

I can say for I drink Captain Morgan & Cokes & twice during my cycle I have had some drinks with buddies & did not have a problem. Actually the first PFD I had was one where I had givin in & had about 5-7 drinks. Don't know if they had anything to do with it & could just be me IDK.

Alcohol is definately a trigger for me.

It assures me that if I do get an attack...it will be a big one.

It seems that if I have one or two its more likely to be bad than if I just get drunk. Real drunk equals no headache for me.

I can't just stay drunk though. Best bet is to stay away from any alcohol

Hopefully there will be a time down the road that your daughter can have coctails and not have to worry about it.

Since I started taking mushrooms I can drink what I want and when I want. No more direct correlation to head attacks anymore.

Knock on wood.

Before the mushrooms. Alcohol would put me in orbit. Pain indescribable. I went a couple of years with no cocktails. I wouldn't even consider drinking for a long time.

Dan

Well hopefully now that you've brought up the severity of her attacks after alcohol, she'll start monitoring this herself, and if she sees an alcohol/severity correlation I would think/hope that like most of us she'll drop the booze like a hot potato until she's sure it no longer has an effect.

I stay away from alcohol altogether. Before I was certain I needed to, I found that beer was the worst, then red wine, then the rest. I've even had the smell of my wife's red wine trigger me.

For me, drinking is not just a trigger, it can give me a couple of bad days. After a while, I don't really miss it.

-Chris

Re: Alcohol as a "trigger"

Reply #1 - Yesterday at 3:44pm      No easy answer to this one.

I disagree with ya on this one sarge. It's simple, drink while in an episode, pay the price in pain. This has been so documented and confirmed over and over year after year. Some people just dont want to give up the booze.

For me, drinking is not just a trigger, it can give me a couple of bad days.

See stubborn daughter! If you have a couple of bad days after drinking...do you suppose the booze triggered that? :-?

Drink all you want, I have no sympathy for self induced pain.

the bb

:P I need a burger and a beer. ::)

I have sympathy for anyone who suffers our affliction.

So called normal people "drown their sorrows" from time to time.

If anyone can justify a cocktail or five it's us.

It just doesn't get along well with fubar hypothalamuses ...hypothalami ??

Anyway I enjoy a few strong drinks now and then....because I can! I sure couldn't for a long time.

Party on

Dan

My guess is we've all done our share of what we know isn't best for us. I don't know why I do it, I just do, and it's my choice when I do and I pay the consequences.

Freewill is a wonderful thing. I couldn't agree more with your statment Chris.

I have sympathy for anyone who suffers our affliction.

So do I Dan, I'm not some unfeeling bastard, I'm just saying self induced pain is not smart and does not deserve the empathy of intractable CH horror without drinking. Stabbing oneself is quite different than falling on a knife. :D

the bb

I guess it depends on the person. Right now I've been CH free for almost 2 months (AWEsome!) and can do whatever...but when I am in a cycle, even smelling alcohol gives me a CH within a few minutes. I'd stay away from it all.

And hello all, thanks again for the help last cycle. Y'all were awesome.

-Jeff 

For me, any alcohol at all induces a 10. My recent cluster period began while drinking whiskey and beer chasers. This was early into the drinking session. About a week later, I had 1.5 beers and instantly got a three-hour monster. So I'm 100 percent sober for now. But when this cluster period ends, I'm hitting the liquor warehouse!

But when this cluster period ends, I'm hitting the liquor warehouse!

Now, I like your thinking there. Burgers and beers all around.

the bb [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]