imigram

HOPEFUL

Great abortive. It just has some very severe side effects, and I try my best to never touch it. I use o2.

Imigram constricts the blood vessels, that's why you can't take too much too frequently.

I HIGHLY recommend OXYGEN, 15LPM minimum, with a non-rebreather mask. It's safe, it's fast, and it's (most times) cheap. It can't hurt your doc to write you a script for O2. I'd find a new doc if he/she won't do that for your child.

My opinion is get on o2, get off imigran.

-Jordan

Imigran (imitrex), is certainly a much more controversial abortive than O2, and therefore it is good to use O2 as a first line abortive.

Personally I have reserved imigran for my backup in case the O2 doesn't work, or isn't accessible, and although many swear at imigran, I have sworn by it for this type of use, as it was a component that has allowed me to abort every single attack in a 2.5 month episode last year (I'm hoping that now that I'm busting with mushrooms, I won't have need for abortives anymore).

I feel no side effects whatsoever from imigran, although I think that folks who believe it can extend episodes may have a case.

I've used imigran since it came on the market BTW (about 17 years ago I think).

Injectible is by far the most effective form (extremely effective in fact) and this tip for extending doses (and avoiding OD) can be critical for those who are prescribed 6 mg injectors: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/imitrex.html

Imigran...(Imitrex stat pen injector is the form I use) completely aborts my attacks in a few minutes. I use it only as a last resort when 02 has failed me, which is really rare, or when I get caught away from 02, flying etc. The reasons:

It's very expensive, I HATE the snakes up the back feeling when I inject it, I don't like the weird, hangover??? feeling I get from it, and there is anectodal evidence it may actually extend cycles. No official studies done on that, just a general feeling many of us are getting when looking back over many years on our cycles, pre and post imitrex.

That being said, when I know I'm going to get creamed, I don't hesitate to use my trex! ;)

Joe

Imigran works. It works fast and seems like heaven. In the beginning. After a little while i could use 9 a day without any effect at all. But with 9 attacks a day, in desperation and in the end you will try anything, even if you know it most likely won`t work, but you just have to in case it does....

I got severe side effects. i`m young, i was in the best shape physically when i got sick. One night i woke up and i couldn't`t breath or speak. I was completely frozen. My heart just didn`t work the way it should. It stopped in heart cramp. I finally managed to kick my boyfriend awake with my feet's. Before i got to bed i had one shot of Imigran. I got EKG several times afterwards, my heart is just fine but it was fine before as well....

Try get the On Demand system, or flow at 25 with a non-rebreather mask, it really is so much better than getting addicted to Imigran.

I`m not saying i will never use it again, but only once in awhile, maybe maybe. I just want to tell something. I had up to 9 attacks a day, lasting three hours each for a longer time. Now i live without any meds at all, except O2 and mushrooms, last one around once a month. Lately i been able to stretch it even further.

My message here is be careful, don`t overuse the Imigran. It can get unpleasent and there are other ways.

My best wishes

Siv

I`m sorry, maybe i shouldn`t have told this. But i`m so afraid of the side effects of this drug. And it really made it so much worse in my opinion, i really don`t want anyone to get there. i feel as i maybe should delete the first post i wrote, but i really feel this medicine is something we should be very careful with. And i know how easy it is to begin overusing it.

Not trying to scare anyone, just be careful.

how does he live with sleeping routines, diet, etc etc. this make big differences, not that it will go away, but it can get more manageable, keep the body balanced. Even less in intensity and less frequent. Also in high cycle, i sleep in a more sitting position. There are many tricky things to try that can help the situation.

I don't doubt anything anyone here is saying, but I will say that Imigram/Imitrex is safe if taken according to the label instructions and it works.

Wearing out over time, extending cycles, could very well be true, but in the short term, use it and get your son some relief.

-Chris

It works, not saying it doesn`t. And it will work if it`s not over used. I was prescribed so many shots a day you couldn`t believe it. That was wriong off course, doc`s are different as well, theyre only humans as the rest of us. But be careful, over using it can be the easiest thing in the world with this pain. Then the side effects.

Thanks all for inputs. Adam, bless him can cope with the minor attacks but the biggies only arrive about once a day of every two days.  He has the imigran injection and has used it today for the first time.  He said ouch a lot when injecting lol but he felt very much better soon after. Someone said its like having a hangover and he said same. He now needs to sleep but I luv my doc for prescribing.  Adam said he would only use the injections on the severe ones that are hard to handle.  Still searching for an oxygen supplier as we live on an Island (Isle of Wight England).

Thank you all for your continued support - Adams Mum :)

as we live on an Island (Isle of Wight England).

Lucky Bums! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=happy.gif] [smiley=happy.gif]

I'm so jealous. :P

Being on the island, when you get 02, get the biggest tank you can handle. ;)

the bb