What Barbed Fitting to get?

Lstetse

Based on a post here I bought the Rebreather mask and Olsen regulator for a welding tank, but the regulator did not come with a barbed fitting.  What size fitting do you need to fit the Olsen Regulator and tubing on the mask?  I tried 1/2 barbed x 1/4 inch and that doesn’t work.  I am trying to set this up for my husband who is having an awful cycle, but I really don’t know what I am doing?  If someone could give me a link to the exact fitting needed that would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi Lstetse and welcome. I am not familiar with the Olsen, but doing a quick search, there are many of them!!  Which one do you have? And describe 'doesn't fit' please. Is the 1/2 too big and the 1/4 too small? That will give us more info to go on and help you! :) 

Please read the blue banner at the top of the page. It contains a lot of info for new members that you will find helpful. 

What meds is your husband taking now? Some do not play well with MM. In addition, it is the standard to wait 5 days between busts. I am not sure if you meant with the busting info. Did he bust one day and then do it again the next day? Or add more MM to the first bust? What happened post bust? How did you determine that it did not work?

O2 should be his best friend! We don't recommend busting without it if possible, due to painful 'slapbacks' post dose!!

Be aware that we love our supporters here!!! :wub: They are heroes for helping Clusterheads! 

ATB!

• Like 1

https://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-63788.html

Thank you for responding! This is the the regulator we got, to go on the welding tank and it fits!  Then we got the mask from this site, cluster O2kit. 

the fitting I tried was 1/2 inch on the barbed side and 1/4 inch on the side the mask tubing would attach.  The 1/2 inch was too small and the 1/4 inch was too big. 

is the tube supposed to go on the outside of the barbed fitting or fit on the inside? (Either way doesn’t work with the current fitting I got, but thought I’d ask so I am setting it up correctly.) 

For mushrooms he did it on a Saturday and then the next day Sunday for a higher dose.  Neither worked, I didn’t know to wait 5 days.  I also have it on the D3 regimen.  No meds, we can’t get into a neurologist until June :( last cycle he tried sumpitran? But it didn’t really work for him. 

Thank you so much for any help! I just can’t get this oxygen up and running and I’m so sure it will help! :) 

Lstetse....

Harbor Freight regulators of old would come with a proper fitting that could be used with the clustermask. It appears they no longer do so.

63788_w1.jpg.7111b3fc847d38b06b937d5e1352e2de.jpg

Above is the reg you have......you need to obtain a fitting like the one in the photo below that will screw onto the port indicated by the arrow in the above photo. FYI, the below regulator is available on Amazon..... HERE

71JYfv-A68L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.bf967c291001c6674f4d2b0b42a77c64.jpg

The mask hose would the fit like this...

20210306_152703.thumb.jpg.f647217f7e630463d866a7c835395b24.jpg

I'm afraid I can't advise where to get the specific fitting that you need....with some time I could find it I'm sure but it may be faster to order the Amazon reg to get him up and running.

Edited by Racer1_NC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racer1_NC Thank you so much! I just ordered the regulator you linked! I really appreciate the pictures on how to connect the mask hose! Thank you so much! I want so much for the oxygen to work for him, it’s been really hard with a 5 month old and trying to figure out any type of solution for my husband, I can’t thank you enough! 

...ok now....yee-haw getting the good stuff in place....B)

...oxygen saved my sanity...perhaps my life...used M60 tanks at home and e tanks in office/car. just saying so ya don't feel trapped at home...dunno sizes of welding tanks but there's lots of folks here can comment re availability of smaller sizes....

....my best outcome was to hit the O2 at the FIRST sign of a hit....delaying even for a short time increases the chances it won't work and puts doubts in ones mind...we don't need that crap. a double/triple coffee or an energy drink  with at least 100-120 mg caffeine and 1000-1500 mg taurine (2 oz 5-hr type is quick and portable) just as quick increased the effectiveness. staying on for a few mins after killing the hit helps many. there are various breathing techniques....hyperventilation (really hard and fast in/exhales) has a lot of adherents. i found that slow in and out was as effective and helped calm me down.....anger and adrenaline and overheating are the enemy. at other times breath and hold worked. point being, don't get hung up on the "right" way...aint no sucha thing. the right way is the one that works for you....try them all.  in different cycles different techniques worked for me...sometimes within the same hit... 

....let us know how you all are getting along...we care....

best

jonathan

• Like 1

With the O2, D3, and caffeine, he should be in for some relief. Those are the main 'go-to's' for most CHer's. Please understand that O2 kills the current hit. It does not prevent the next one. It is going to come on schedule. That does not mean the O2 is not working, just that it kills one but does not prevent the next one. If he is nocturnal, then sleeping partially reclined in a recliner helps a lot of people. You keep your head above your heart and it helps. Also makes waking with the next hit faster and therefore easier to abort. 

The D3 can take up to 2 weeks to feel the relief. It lowers the pain level and slows the ramps up, thereby making dealing with a hit easier. For many, it prevents cycles from coming at all!!! Pretty amazing. :) 

Caffeine is something that he should keep with him at all times! Many prefer the Energy Drinks cold and use the little shots of them.. I use iced coffee because the drinks turn my stomach. 

If you want to discuss busting, then you could begin a new thread in Theory & Implementation or Share your Busting Stories threads. Those are members only area's of the board.

• Like 1

...food for thought....sorry for the hijack...

....if redbull works and he likes it, then fine...as the saying goes "don't mess with success"....just note it has lower levels of caffeine (less than strong coffee) and taurine than most other brands..... is WAY more expensive (you're paying for advertising)....and tastes like dirt...bleeech!

....do a google search for levels in all brands. my favorite large can was "Wired"....16 oz with 344 mg caffeine and 3200 taurine...half a can or less worked just fine. while low blood sugar a trigger for me, it proved to be just WAY too much (all of 'em, must be to hide the taste). have to be careful of the sugar free versions as aspartame a trigger like msg. switched to the 2 oz 5-hr energy types...most use sucralose as sweetener...goes down quick and is easy to carry anywhere (like on a plane)..... 

...have never paid more than $1/can or bottle for any at a grocery outlet or dollar type store.....and that's sticking with the major brands for peace of mind....

Not sure where you are with the fitting.   I haven't checked broadly on this, but they seem to be a standard item carried by hardware outlets.  That version's usually plastic, and might cost a couple of bucks.  It looks like this (ones I have seen have also been grey or greenish-blue).  https://www.shopnebulizer.com/p-salter-labs-nipple-nut-plastic-hose-barb-fitting.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs5eCBhCBARIsAEhk4r7tJ_qJlVbD-LYAVblIQDDS1UQmdfwxpfpdHXiWOyF99pUai8qpIFQaAuFpEALw_wcB

If I was going in to ask, I think I'd ask for a barb fitting for an oxygen regulator.  Or, a thingie you attach to an oxygen regulator so you can attach a tube to it. You could bring your reg and a piece of the hose tube to test it.

• Like 1