Does oxygen ever lose its effectiveness (question to long term sufferers)

Archimedes

Hi all,

I think I read a thread on this matter some years ago but not sure what the original discussion was, cant find it anymore.

Question for long term o2 users - have you ever felt you built up a tolerance with o2 in your CH careers ? I know (have experienced myself) o2 can not abort an attack in some cases but that is very rare so I am not referring to these situations.

I am asking because I have started a new cycle after many years and I am not sure I am torturing myself unnecessary since 2 weeks. When I feel an attack is coming - I usually wait it out how bad it gets until I can´t tolerate it anymore (some of the attacks luckily subside) to "save" my o2 usage. Not to save the o2, but to prevent my body / metabolism getting used to it. 

I also have the feeling I have to let if not any attacks slip through because my body needs to adjust something / attacks are an coping reaction for something (a mix of allergy, stress, hormone disbalance, gut microbiom f+++cked up etc).

I often try to let attacks run as long as I can before I hit the o2. I know this may be nuts but its just a feeling I should do this. I did the mistake once and was too late to abort a bad one though, I peeked into the abyss during the attack - I know waiting to long is playing with fire, no need to tell me :)

Is limiting / "portioning" o2 actually a wrong approach / maybe pointless to hurt myself as there are no known cases an o2 tolerace is built ? Whats your views and experiences on that ?

Happy to hear your thoughts. 

I know there are many people here who have been using oxygen for a very long time, who still find that it works fine for them.  As you said, there are people who find that once in a while O2 doesn't work for them (I think that is usually because the O2 level in the tank is too low).  I do know of a couple of older people who have been using O2 for many, many years who have found that other abortives sometimes work more effectively for them, but I don't think they have posted about that here, and I can't say whether they've developed a tolerance for O2 or whether there are other factors involved.  I suspect that maybe you are, as you say, "torturing yourself unnecessarily."

.....are you using caffeine/energy drinks to aid the O2?....I found it improved effectiveness dramatically if powered down immediately when a hit felt..

....i am also one of the advocates of hitting the oxygen immediately and paid the price often if i could not get to the tank soon enough....BUT, over the years there were cycles where i HAD to WAIT until the hit got to a Kip 2 (not 1, not 3+) for it to work...and it would. strangest damn thing that i found  by accident, after much panic that the o2 wasn't working any more. I have absolutely no explanation for it, but I do know that clusterheads have an innate feeling for their own cycle that others can't fathom. go with your gut....

best

jonathan

Edited by jon019
  • Like 1

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your response. Yes I've tried energy drinks the past years but found it made it worse. I don't suspect the coffeine / taurine or else but rather the high amount of sugar being a problem for me. Sure there are zero/diet versions around but same here, maybe the artificial sweeter isn't well tolerated. 

For coffee, I am a coffee lover (black and strong) but unfortunately it also seems to rather kick something off then help. Out of cycle I get sometimes shadows after a coffee so jury -for me- is still out .

Agree on the gut feeling part. Interesting what you say, it goes a bit in the direction what I meant in terms of allowing an attack to build up. Challenging to not miss the sweet spot though.

Best 

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your response. Yes I've tried energy drinks the past years but found it made it worse. I don't suspect the coffeine / taurine or else but rather the high amount of sugar being a problem for me. Sure there are zero/diet versions around but same here, maybe the artificial sweeter isn't well tolerated. 

...since low blood sugar was a trigger, i relied on the hi sugar content (RIDICULOUSLY high, methinks to cover the disgusting flavor) for a bit....but it was just too much so moved to the sugar- free, except for  aspartame versions (vasoactive and also a personal trigger.) eventually landed on the 2 oz 5-hr energy type (with sucralose). no reaction to this artificial sweetener, highly portable (allowed on planes!), more caffeine/taurine than most, and easily/quickly downed....

For coffee, I am a coffee lover (black and strong) but unfortunately it also seems to rather kick something off then help. Out of cycle I get sometimes shadows after a coffee so jury -for me- is still out .

...caffeine/energy drinks between hits was a trigger (no problem out of cycle, same as alcohol). however, when saved as a heavy dose  "jolt to abort" a hit, proved quite effective...

Agree on the gut feeling part. Interesting what you say, it goes a bit in the direction what I meant in terms of allowing an attack to build up. Challenging to not miss the sweet spot though.

....yup, goes against all hard earned experience and a definite tightrope walk....fortunate for me it was rare and i knew right away if it was gonna be one of "those" cycles...

Best 

4 hours ago, tmac said:

I use a lot of O2 and the only time I thought it was not effective is when the tank was near empty.  I don't know why, but the first O2 from a full tank is much more effective than the bottom.

....favored m60 and e tanks....found the the m's a workhorse, just crank and breath, thankfully no thinking involved...

....the e's took a bit more "finagling" (a word my dad favored). as the volume dropped (especially below half) the lpm's would follow...i was constantly adjusting the flow upward to maintain adequate lpm. got to where i went by sound, as reading a stinking dial when being hit was not user friendly. in my case,  it meant volume left was not a consideration and i used to leave a little in several tanks as a "reserve".....like a scuba diver. the horror movie scenario of a friday evening, empty tanks, and closed O2 shop being one you only wish to experience ONCE!.....

Edited by jon019
  • Like 1