Imitrex for CH

Vipul

Hello, 

I am in the middle of a very bad cycle. I have never tried sumatriptans (Imitrex) in any form but I intend to now as the pain levels are getting to be more and more unbearable. 

Unfortunately my doc, insists that I try nasal and oral Imitrex first. I have read on this forum as well as other sites that only a imitrex 6mg injection works to stop the CH attacks. 

Should I waste my time with an imitrex nasal spray? Does it have any effect? 

Or should I just go ahead and get the injection without a prescription (possible). 

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Love and regards

Har Har Mahadev

Vipul

4 hours ago, spiny said:

Vipul, do not let him talk you into the pills!!! Those are for Migraines, not Clusters. They take too long to work to be of any help for most.

HI Spiny, thanks for your reply. Exactly as I thought. What about the nasal? 

11 hours ago, CHfather said:

Many people get good relief from the nasal spray.  If you get the injectable, you can divide it into two or three doses.  https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/2446-extending-imitrex/  

Hello CHfather, I will try the nasal spray first and hope it helps. 

The thing about the injectable is that I am not able to have any of my doctors prescribe it to me. So I will have to get it and use it without prescription. But lemme first get the spray today. 

Very informative write up on reducing the injectable dose as well. 

Love and regards

Vipul

Har Har Mahadev

...absolutely no reason to just ride out hits if your prevents are not working.... or you are having breakthroughs. just be cautious on overuse...not heart healthy and can cause rebounds. sorry if i missed, is O2 not working?

.... as others have said, orals are useless as abortives....however, some folks who know their cycle and hit pattern well are able to use as sort of a prevent to get some sleep or for pf time for an event....

...re nasal sprays...i don't think it's a waste to find if something works...or doesn't....is equally valuable info either way. Zomig NS (5 mg) was my go to as abort of last resort...no side effects and a long pf window. also easily and unobtrusively used...

...the reports i've seen indicate that many folks can successfully abort with less than 6 mg...which is a big HAMMER. 2-3 mg worked great for me and many others with fewer, if any, side effects, less chance of rebounds, cheaper, more aborts per script. hack the stat pens or better yet, vials and insulin needles....

best

jonathan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jon019 said:

...absolutely no reason to just ride out hits if your prevents are not working.... or you are having breakthroughs. just be cautious on overuse...not heart healthy and can cause rebounds. sorry if i missed, is O2 not working?

.... as others have said, orals are useless as abortives....however, some folks who know their cycle and hit pattern well are able to use as sort of a prevent to get some sleep or for pf time for an event....

...re nasal sprays...i don't think it's a waste to find if something works...or doesn't....is equally valuable info either way. Zomig NS (5 mg) was my go to as abort of last resort...no side effects and a long pf window. also easily and unobtrusively used...

...the reports i've seen indicate that many folks can successfully abort with less than 6 mg...which is a big HAMMER. 2-3 mg worked great for me and many others with fewer, if any, side effects, less chance of rebounds, cheaper, more aborts per script. hack the stat pens or better yet, vials and insulin needles....

best

jonathan

Thanks for the detailed info Jonathan. 

I tried looking for the O2 set up initially. O2 was easily available but no supplier here was able to arrange a 10-15 lpm flow rate which I believe is required. In fact they thought I was crazy as this kind of flow rate is used only in an icu here. Post covid I am sure I will be able to find enough options for O2 as lots of suppliers here have imported high flow regulators. 

Over the last 3 years, my cycles have kept on increasing and am unable to predict when the a cycle will get over and when the next will start. First year I had 2 cycles, one in July/August and the other in dec/jan. 3 cycles in the second year. This year my cycle stops for a month and starts again. Shiver to think I am turning cronic. 

I am going to get the nasal spray and the 6mg injection today. Will first try the nasal. If it doesn't work, I'll try the injection on the next attack. I need to look up videos on how to self inject as well. Is it tough? 

Love and regards

Vipul

Har Har Mahadev 

...if you can work out the O2 supply and a regulator (Amazon, Alibaba, Flipcart?) it may make your triptan pursuit moot....

....imitrex statdose pens are quite easy to use....you don't even see the needle...remove the safety, press the button...look for a version of less than 6 mg...

....using vials of imitrex you can inject only what you need (2-3 mg for many) with insulin needles....they are small and virtually painless. one abort and you will not be worried about injecting being a problem anymore...

.....the nasals work best with proper technique...plug opposite nostril, tilt head back slightly, inhale GENTLY as you press plunger. if it drips out you need to inhale more, if it goes down your throat and tastes awful, inhale less. this too will become rote with enough use (hopefully minimal because O2, energy drinks, busting, and/or D3 regimen render triptans a fading memory)....

best

j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like many CH sufferers I was misdiagnosed for years. I agree with others comments about Imitrex pills. They take too long to work and are for migraine not CH. I asked my doctor for Imitrex nasal blast and was prescribed 20 mg Nasal blasts. They generally work for me unless I wait too long into an attack. I have not tried the injection because I get good relief from Nasal Blasts.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The times that sumatriptan pills work for cluster is when you are in cycle where you know that you are going to get hit at a certain time and can take it an hour beforehand.   I have warded off more night time hits than I can count by taking a 100 mg sumatriptan pill before bed.

-Ricardo

• Like 1