How many days in a row Sumatriptan shots?

Paula

Hello: My husband is in a very bad cycle right now  and has been taking two shots of Sumatriptan a day for 4 days in a row — we are not sure how many days in a row he can  take these shots and cannot find any clear guideline.

Does anyone have any insight on sumatriptan injection dosage for several days in a row?

many thanks!

It’s no more then two every 24 hours.  I have taken two or three a day for a week. They will to start to cause rebound headaches and actually cause you to have more. The only way I get around this is to use o2 to try to abort until I absolutely have to take a shot. Sometimes you don’t have a choice. Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In high cycle I've been using up to 6 a day where i was having 12-14 attacks a day and O2 was just not sufficient to abort. Under 'normal' circumstances O2 should be the preferred option, but in my high cycles the attacks are just too severe and extremely painful. Yes it is absolutely not recommended to take so many a day but it was the only option to get the beast at bay for a couple of hours. Now i am in my lower cycle and use 1 a day (for 5 months already), the others I can manage with O2.

As to what @CHfathers recommends to split, nowadays there is also the 3mg available instead of the 6mg, which work also for me in low cycle although they work not as quick as the 6mg. On the other hand with the 3mg there are less rebounds.

All the best

Edited by Cast Iron
  • Like 3

Welcome Paula, What other things have you and your husband tried for his cluster? Any preventatives? Verapamil is the most frequently used at a high dose. You should read up on the D3 regiment, that should slow the hits down and lessen the pain but can take a few days to kick in. Oxygen is the best for aborting clusters with no side effects. If your doctor will not prescribe it for you we have a tun of information about home setups using welding oxygen. That should be the thing you try to get set up today! I will also down a 5hr energy drink when I feel a cluster coming on to help the oxygen work a little faster and I can even drink them at 3am without them keeping me awake. 

Poke around on this site for a few hours and ask a lot of questions and we can help get things under control for the both of you. Good luck and welcome to the club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1