a potential new option

les genser

I was browsing around this message board trying to look when Les Genser had last been seen on the board ... it's been a while. Let's hope we have not alienated him from here, in my opinion he is one those rare ones that people in here should just about beg to stay on board and help us. I have seen this happen before (on finnish CH sites) people in some way "attacking" the helper, someone with good intentions gets mocked down - why is it always with CH people, I don't know ... let's hope this is not the case and I have just misinterpreted the whole thing. Seems that Les has more knowledge and wisdom (and sufferer's point of view!) than all the doctors I have seen in my life combined. And that's many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself found liquorice root being really effective on treating CH and I know quite a few people here in Finland trying it out as well. We know it is not to be used with triptans or verapamil but what about topamax? I am asking on behalf of somebody, do not use dopemax myself.

Geez it is not out of line to try anything with a knife in your skull. I even tried Maca Root. Barbed wire up the pooper comes to mind...lol ;D The pain will dictate. :'( Traditional, herbal, alternative, it's all worth a try.  :oIt it also worthy to consider all comments and insights no matter who it is. Sometimes it is some opinions to call a rock a rock, nobody has to take it personal. Been there done that. Guilty myself. :-[

bb

i know im gonna consult my doctor on this one.

I hope your doc is a one in a million rare bird - my understanding is that doctors don't receive any training in herbal remedies and simply know nothing about them unless they've taken on independent study.  :-?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I witnessed the strangest thing today...there's a new Facebook group, "Cluster Headache Support Group" I think it's ran by Chris Hannah.

Somebody posted about Les Genser's protocol and was attacked rather personally and all his posts was deleted and he "left" the group.

I sensed this was something personal between Les and Chris Hannah but it seemed really odd reading the disappearing posts and now nobody gets to know about this whole protocol.

I don't even want to post about anything because of this Chris dude.

The amount of censorship on the groups 1st day is mindboggling and really sad, people suffering from cluster headaches get only the "selected" information by the groups admins.

MODIFY: Seems they are both from Philadelphia, just a coincidence? On Chris' profile it says "Hey, no worries. Opinions are good... that's how we learn from each other."

Oh, yeah, right  :D

• 4 months later...

Les,

I get everything you wrote and I thank you for sharing your journey and experience.

Licorice root has been used to treat nicotine withdrawal symptoms.  I noticed you recently quit smoking.  Is it possible your headache symptoms improved because you stopped smoking, and not from the tincture?

I take nothing away from your efforts and research but I know every individual responds differently to any treatment.

Lifestyle changes play an important role in managing headaches, which I personally attest to.

I quit smoking and changed my diet which dramatically reduced my headaches.  I no longer have excruciating headaches and live pretty much pain free these days.

Cluster headaches can be exacerbated by smoking.  Even if you cut down on smoking there can be an improvement in duration, and severity of headaches.

My personal situation is not like anyone else's, so my treatment is not a solution for anyone else.

I wanted to point out my thoughts on your success, and I wish you a continued PF life.

MikeSal

• 1 month later...

I just spent the morning reading this entire thread. Although I currently busted out of an eight week cycle with the help of seeds, M, 02, and the great people here, I am still so intrigued by new information. Les described our condition so clearly, like no doctor I have ever seen. His writing style is a gift and his insight is so inspirational. He is honest, especially when it comes to the cigarette connection. If nothing else, the pain is much less severe when smoking is avoided. I am taking the vitamin reg and will not be smoking anymore.  I was casual and inconsistent with smoking anyway. On and off for years with no real addiction. Just did it to relieve stress, when  having drinks, or when others were indulging. I would love to know Les' suggestion with licorice root when it comes to maintenance.