Vitamin D Regimen and Calcium Levels

adhura

Hi,

I started Vitamin D regime 10 days back. My baseline Vit D level was 19. 

I did 140,000 IU ( Two 50K capsules + Micro D3 0.5cc ) for 7 days and got my testing done again.

My numbers after loading dose are:

Vitamin D : 86 ng/ml

Calcium: 11.6 mg/dl

So Vitamin D has definitely moved in right direction, however calcium seems higher ( don't have baseline for that ).

My headaches have not improved yet and based on my reading it seems I may need to go to may be 100+ level to see relief.

But since calcium level is on high side, what would be a good course of action ? Continue Vitamin D and just stop extra calcium supplement ? Or discontinue Vit D till Calcium level falls ?

Any opinion/advice be great as I really was hoping this to work for me :)

thnx

• adhura changed the title to Vitamin D Regimen and Calcium Levels

@adhura, I'm sure Batch will be along shortly but in the interim, are you including all of the co factors in the D3 regimen??  I know that the K2 is extremely important and although I'm not certain. I think it has something to do with the calcium levels....I know I've seen comments over the years about the k2 preventing the regimen from causing kidney stones.

Dallas Denny 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On another note, how often should we be doing blood panels during the regimen?  Obviously baseline and then like 30 days in.  But what about after that?  It would be a struggle for my insurance to grant me too many I think.  I can order the at home 25 OH D for about 50 bucks but that won't include calcium levels which is obviously a really important one.  If I'm doing this year round, what is reasonable?  

I do annual blood work, but I have been on the D3 for many years now. Most likely if you do a repeat at 30 days, the numbers will be pretty steady by then. If you can, check your levels again at 6 months. If not all of them, then at least the D3. I was fortunate to find the correct dose for me pretty quickly. 

You can pm Batch too! :)

Hey Bohm,

Spiny is spot on.  Once you've reached a stable vitamin D3 dose and responding 25(OH)D3 concentration that keeps you CH pain free, annual labs for 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH are adequate.

Regarding labs for calcium and PTH after a loading schedule or change in maintenance dose, all your doctor needs to do is annotate the lab order for serum calcium and PTH with the following: "Hypervitaminosis D" and "Possible Hypercalcemia" as the rationale  for these two labs.  Medical insurance companies would sooner cover the cost of these labs than take a hit with a law suit for failing to respond to a physician's lab order.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

• Like 2