Various Questions About Spikes/Picks to the Brain ETC..

BoscoPiko

So I'm sure this is going to be all over the place but I'm going to try and do my best to stay focused here..

I call what I feel when I am having a CH "spikes" because they feel like someone is spiking me with something in my rt. temple with something. August has always, (since I have been diagnosed, and tracking) been a doozy for me. This time around is different. Normally, a single spike here and there would indicate that a full blown banger was coming soon usually within a week or two. I started the D3 reg of which I am sure I managed to F up even though I taped the destructions to the fridge... Something must have been working as I just kept getting spikes most days just one or two and the intensity level was minor in comparison to what I am used to (not sure you ever really get used to it). Anyhow, my questions that I am hopeful someone will answer are … (Also I am grateful to just be having rando spikes so don't get me wrong please). 

1. Do any of you get random spikes/shocks/you know picks to the noggin?

2. If you only get one in the day do you go on about the day like you don't need to be careful that something you do will bring one on? Like do you still workout? Go do something that makes your blood pump?

3. Is it normal to have just a random spike here and there nearly every day for over a month an a half? (Tell me I am still episodic)?

4. Does anyone use oxygen as a preventative verses an abortive?

5. I have been getting random minor spikes in the left temple, is it common to switch hell sides and could this indicate that I could be switching sides?

I know this is a big ask I'm just a bit overwhelmed with this because I feel like if I'm not having a headache (hate calling it that) that I worrying about when I will. On the upside I did get my blood test (home test kit) mailed back in today so at least I'll know how much I messed up the loading. Seems cut and dry but leave me .... Any way I would really like to see what you folks have to say. Major thanks and may your brain stay off the fritz!    

• Like 1

I also will get the "spike" type shooting pain from time to time but I just chalk it up to the clusters playing games. I just move on with my day as planned I do not change my program because of it. When I am most carful is with that pressure feeling in my cluster area, kind of a dull normal headache feeling that I know will blow up at any moment. the fact that you have only felt that spike feeling and it haas not developed into a full blown cluster would lead me to think the D3 is working, I don't know that you have screwed it up in any way you just might need to tweak it a bit for better results. Getting your blood work done will be the only way to figure that out. 

Oxygen as a preventative.. I will sometimes use it before going to bed or when I have them days of pressure feelings but I dont think it does anything other then ease my mind a bit if that makes any sense?

And your feelings of the spikes on the left side can be the clusters changing side, that has been know to happen to others in the community but it could also be another form of headache. I am not sure but it may be something you want to bounce off your doc and if they get bad I would have an MRI or something done to make sure its only clusters and nothing else.   

• Like 2

I think most of us get what we call shadows from time to time.  Depending on the person, they can range from a bad feeling, to tightness in our head, to mild headaches, to regular headaches.  What you describe as spikes don't really sound like shadows though, but could be.  

I only get shadows, and full blown CH attacks. 

There are some other flavors of CH that have different attack patterns.  Maybe try to document when and how they come.  That should help with a diagnosis.

J

• Like 3

Thank you both for the responses. The spikes are the same as what I get when I get a full blown CH but just not in succession and intensity if that makes sense. I do log them (time, and intensity If its just spikes and not a full blown CH). IDK maybe I am getting the benefit of the D3 and the spikes are as good as it gets for now? I just had an MRI on March 17th so I don't think all that much could have changed from then? I just sent my blood work in yesterday so I should have that back here soon. Maybe I will just take a few hits of 02 and try not to miss my boxing lesson as I always feel like such a looser for not working out... Again thank you both!   

• Like 1

I regularly have spikes on my left temple, while my CH is on my right. These spikes are in many cases the onset of an attack, but not always. It makes me aware that the beast is awake and wants to come out to play. This does not mean I stop doing what I was doing of want to do, except when I kinda feel an attack is eminent, I start the O2. What also helps me when I have a little spike is to go outside for a walk in the fresh air, this also clears the spike quite rapidly. Some people have spikes in the Great Occipital Nerve which is often an indication that they will soon enter into their cycle. I see the spikes on my temple normally only when in cycle, but on the other hand I am chronic. Over time I can now feel what kind of spike it is, is it a random one, or because I have eaten something that is on the ‘NOGOOD’-list or went to bed far too late.

As J says, the beast comes in different forms and shapes, where a spike for one is the start of a cycle, where for others it is a morphing of a regular pattern to the next.

ATB  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cast Iron said:

I regularly have spikes on my left temple, while my CH is on my right. These spikes are in many cases the onset of an attack, but not always. It makes me aware that the beast is awake and wants to come out to play. This does not mean I stop doing what I was doing of want to do, except when I kinda feel an attack is eminent, I start the O2. What also helps me when I have a little spike is to go outside for a walk in the fresh air, this also clears the spike quite rapidly. Some people have spikes in the Great Occipital Nerve which is often an indication that they will soon enter into their cycle. I see the spikes on my temple normally only when in cycle, but on the other hand I am chronic. Over time I can now feel what kind of spike it is, is it a random one, or because I have eaten something that is on the ‘NOGOOD’-list or went to bed far too late.

As J says, the beast comes in different forms and shapes, where a spike for one is the start of a cycle, where for others it is a morphing of a regular pattern to the next.

ATB  

Hi there,

Yes that has always been the case for me as well. This time is a bit different with the fact that August is my normal worst month for CH. Normally I start getting random spikes a few weeks prior and sometime I can ramp up on a few preventatives and hold the killer at bay for a bit (just a bit) they always find a way to come out. Since the start of the D3 which I did not load properly, I just keep spiking so I suppose that's positive....I am going to start over (to a certain degree) and see if that helps.. Thank you for the response!

8-15-21

11:30 AM

1-Spike

Mild No Medication

8-17-21

12:00 PM

1-Spike

Mild No Medication

8-19-21

10:30 AM

4-Spikes

Medium-Nasal Medication

Yeah Day!

Yeah Day

Yeah Day!

Yeah Day

8-24-21

11:30 AM

1-Spike

Mild No Medication

8-25-21

9:44 AM

1-Spike

Mild No Medication

8-26-21

6:00 PM

1-Spike

Mild No Medication

8-27-21

8:30 AM & 12:30 PM

2-Spikes

Mild No Medication

Yeah Day

Yeah Day

Yeah Day

8-31-21

12:30 PM & 1:28pm

2-Spiks

Med No Medication

• Like 1

Bosco, I just had my non-CH side spike today. I was a the dermatologists when it happened and it spooked the heck out of me!! 

What causes it? I don't know. But I have had them before and my son gets them , but no CH. Hopefully that is the end of it! The Equinox is my cycle start time, so yea, I am a bit wigged out. :wacko:

I took caffeine for it. Might not be the best choice for all, but worked for me. 

ATB!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spiny said:

Bosco, I just had my non-CH side spike today. I was a the dermatologists when it happened and it spooked the heck out of me!! 

What causes it? I don't know. But I have had them before and my son gets them , but no CH. Hopefully that is the end of it! The Equinox is my cycle start time, so yea, I am a bit wigged out. :wacko:

I took caffeine for it. Might not be the best choice for all, but worked for me. 

ATB!!!

That's strange... I responded to this but I don't see it here now.. Any how Thank you Spiny for the response. I know  

Dident

Just now, BoscoPiko said:

That's strange... I responded to this but I don't see it here now.. Any how thank you Spiny for the response. I know  I'll never get used to the pain but I am somewhat used to the side I get it on so when I get one on the other side it is scary! I love coffee and my husband thinks I'm nuts for liking a good old americano most of the time just black.  I'm not sure if my computer is on the fritz or if it's me or both? Anyhow I sure am happy to have found this site. Everyone has been most helpful even when I'm full of mean. I did find out that I cut my D3 loading short after talking to XXX so I have re-started for a few days and have not had spikes for 2 days o (knock on wood). I am hopeful that I will make a little headway. I understand that I can't expect 100% but something is better than nothing rt.   

• Like 2

I too get “spikes” which I consider shadows which will jolt me out of my seat.  I will generally just close my eyes and take some deep breaths for a few and then continue on with my day.  Sometimes it’s a signal of the Beast awakening other times no.  I have also experienced the odd side switch too.  

And I drink black coffee too…..if there’s milk or sugar in it then it isn’t coffee in my book…….LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ganuchi said:

I too get “spikes” which I consider shadows which will jolt me out of my seat.  I will generally just close my eyes and take some deep breaths for a few and then continue on with my day.  Sometimes it’s a signal of the Beast awakening other times no.  I have also experienced the odd side switch too.  

And I drink black coffee too…..if there’s milk or sugar in it then it isn’t coffee in my book…….LOL

Agreed! 

• Like 1

Yes! My journal is littered with "spike" and then I rate the pain level of each spike. I get them pretty much daily, 80% of them are level 7 and they're always on my cluster side (right). I do get spikes on my left side, but I can now firmly attribute those to barometric weather changes - they mimic the ch spikes but they're not as sharp.

There's not much I do to treat them as they come and go so quickly. The constant mind-fuckery is almost worse than the pain with these things. If I get a spike followed by pressure, that's when I know shits about to go down and I'll ready the O2.

I'm training for endurance competitions, so I run a lot - I suspect it helps to some degree, but I believe it's a combination of dosing and the D3 regimen that prevents these spikes from becoming screamers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmlonghorn said:

Yes! My journal is littered with "spike" and then I rate the pain level of each spike. I get them pretty much daily, 80% of them are level 7 and they're always on my cluster side (right). I do get spikes on my left side, but I can now firmly attribute those to barometric weather changes - they mimic the ch spikes but they're not as sharp.

There's not much I do to treat them as they come and go so quickly. The constant mind-fuckery is almost worse than the pain with these things. If I get a spike followed by pressure, that's when I know shits about to go down and I'll ready the O2.

I'm training for endurance competitions, so I run a lot - I suspect it helps to some degree, but I believe it's a combination of dosing and the D3 regimen that prevents these spikes from becoming screamers.

So I'm not the only one then.. Yes I hate the mind game and agree that at times it is almost worse as I feel like I have to stop what I am doing because I am unsure if I going to hell for real or just spiking? Still trying to figure this fkr. out . I have started the D3 and do see improvement in the intensity of the spikes. Thank you for the response

• Like 1