GAMMACORE

Shaun brearley

Shaun', if you type Gamma into the search box at the top of any page, you'll see some reported results.  As I recall, a couple of people reported having success with it.  In the US, it is very expensive, $600 or so every month.  Maybe with your NHS it's not so steep.  (As I recall, it was far less effective, or plain ineffective, for people with chronic CH.  I have also never understood what the appeal would be except for (1) people for whom oxygen doesn't work, since the abort time in the trials was longer than what most/many people can get with an optimized O2 system; and (2) for its portability, which is not an insignificant benefit if it works and the cost isn't prohibitive.)  I guess some people have been told that regular use has preventive benefits, and not just abortive.  I don't remember if we found out how that worked out.

Edited by CHfather
  • Like 1

Sound thanks a lot NHS report over here has stated that it is going to give CH sufferers there lives back lol . They state that the cost is only £2700 per year . First 3 months is free to see if it work , if not you hand it back . . My neurologist tried to get me on it but local heath authority won't fund it . Makes you laugh really they fund triptan injections at £58 a shot . If i used them all the time id cost NHS thousands every year . But if your rite and results are not that good i will stay away from it . Cheers for info CHFather

Yeah, I gave up after seeing the costs and it's a complete joke that you have a device that counts how many times it works then it shuts off so you have to pay again. It's not like it wears out, they just bleed people dry...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shaun brearley said:

they fund triptan injections at £58 a shot . If i used them all the time id cost NHS thousands every year

...is ever thus the ongoing frustration across multiple healthcare systems....my insurance would cover triptans at $600/script/mo, yet deny the oxygen that would have eliminated 90% of that cost......

• Like 1

I tried it, and as usual it doesn’t work for most chronics. I gave it away to some one from here who was episodic and got relief from it. I think the getting your life back is more for mm/L and Vitamin D.  As they stop the attacks fir a period of time. The gamma core is just an abortive...  and again like Denny said in the US it’s $600/month. 

• Like 1

I overheard at a conference that the inventor tried to find a use of its invention for quite a while before zooming in on CH and read that it is working on some of us but is pretty much a hit or miss. IMO there is so many things that could help the vagal nerve before trying the « zapper ».

Edited by Joyisnow77
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Shaun,

I am about to begin a tryout with gammacore. They have a patient assistance program where you get the device for 90 days for $450 when a doctor submits the presecription - no insurance coverage.  Like most people in this group, I have tried everything esle, so will give this vagus nerve stimulator an attempt and see what happens. Here is a link to a Preva study done a while back with gammacore.  https://neuronewsinternational.com/randomised-data-show-gammacore-significantly-reduces-cluster-headache-attack-frequency/

Terry