Boswellia serrata

Theresa

My fiancé has recently had great success with boswellia serrata. He has been suffering for 4 years and usually has 2-3 attacks a day chronically, sometimes more. However, this has been two weeks with only one head ache day - which came after he forgot to take the pills. I wanted to come on and share as we’ve both found this site so helpful! Busting didn’t work for him, although we may not have tried high enough doses, and he’s has tried a few different medicines. I am just hoping this success continues as things have worked short term in the past and then stopped working, although never this well. He is taking 3 pills a day, 1 in the morning, 1 at noon and 1 at night - each 500mg. 

• Like 2

Thank you for everything about this post -- the very act of posting it, of course, but also the nice clarity about context and specifically what your finance is taking!   If you put Boswellia into the search bar (top right of every page), you'll see some other related discussions that might be valuable.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Theresa said:

NOW supplements found on Amazon

Ah, thanks - I got some Boswellia at one point, but got suckered by the high Amazon ratings of another brand, even though I've trusted NOW brand for a long time. Of course when I received my bottle from the other brand it had a prominent sticker attached offering a FREE extra bottle if you give them a great review. To me that explained their high customer rating, and it instantly dashed my confidence as I sat there holding that jumbo bottle of buyer's remorse in one hand, face palming with the other. :P

• Like 1

While we're ranting on, I'm gonna continue to threadjack (sorry), and full on belly-ache about how when I try to supply a review acknowledging the 'get a free bottle if you help us skew our reviews through trickery!' offer that came with the product, Amazon won't publish it.....

@Theresa, if this isn't overtaxing your patience . . . It seems he tried busting at least once or twice with satisfactory success.  Is that accurate?  And you had mentioned possibly starting the D3 regimen . . . did he do that?  Is he taking other meds?  I'm just trying to get a sense of the full context.

BTW, I added this thread to the post on "Basic Non-Busting Information" in the CB Files section.  Since it says that post has more than 2,000 views, putting the info there might increase the numbers who see it.

• Like 3

@CHfather No problem at all. He did try busting 3-4 times I believe. It did seem to help some (bad headache the next day then no headache for 2-3 days after which is/was rare for him), but they always came back. We were planning to experiment with a little higher dose, he did 1g every 5 days, but then we were waiting for a new supply and ordered the boswellia. 

He has a propolonol prescription which helped some for a while but now no longer makes much difference and sumatriptan. He has also taken Topomax (?) in the past but the side effects were too severe. I believe he tried some other medications when first diagnosed with similar results. 

That’s great! Hope others may find some relief as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Theresa said:

@CHfather No problem at all. He did try busting 3-4 times I believe. It did seem to help some (bad headache the next day then no headache for 2-3 days after which is/was rare for him), but they always came back. We were planning to experiment with a little higher dose, he did 1g every 5 days, but then we were waiting for a new supply and ordered the boswellia. 

He has a propolonol prescription which helped some for a while but now no longer makes much difference and sumatriptan. He has also taken Topomax (?) in the past but the side effects were too severe. I believe he tried some other medications when first diagnosed with similar results. 

That’s great! Hope others may find some relief as well. 

This was a very helpful post ! I am now looking into this supplement I as well have trie propranolol and toprimax/toprimate neither worked and the toprimax gave me bad side effects as well (cognitive issues). Thank you for posting this.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update: This has continued to be effective, but he was still having occasional less severe attacks, especially when the weather changed which has been happening a lot recently where we live. Added Quercetin twice daily to the schedule about 10 days ago, seems to have helped even more. Only one attack since then. He’s even been able to have a couple beers without a headache which has previously been unheard of. 

• Like 8

Yes, and propranolol twice daily but he doesn’t believe that has much, if any, effect. He has not tried the D3 regimen because he won’t have insurance again until April and we weren’t sure about the cost of blood testing without it. However, we were planning to look into it when this started working. Is there benefit to still adding it when he’s covered again? Or best not to interfere if something seems to be working? 

7 hours ago, Theresa said:

Yes, and propranolol twice daily but he doesn’t believe that has much, if any, effect.

....cuz it probably doesn't...old line migraine med with minimal effect on CH for most folks....

...many are on D3 regimen yr round w/o consideration of CH. we are nearly universally vit D deficient. is safe but nice to know if your other measures worked w/o....can always add later...

• Like 2

I stopped drinking beer, basically, in h.s. Turned out? I have taste buds for wine (and abt 10 yrs ago? Vodka ~ go figure). In h.s. they used to blindfold me and have me taste test the different beers. I cld differentiate them precisely, even if they duplicated some. I mean? Why have different brands if ppl cant tell the differences? But i have never rly liked beer very much.  Is that because my chas started when i was in jr high? Dunno... i just rly dont like the smell either.