Head injuries and CHAS

Sue mcdonald

I dont kno.

Is there direct correlation? Indirect correlation? Causal? I dont kno.

I grew up ice skating, figure skating n had knocks on the head - but look at the thousands? Millions of fellow ice skaters? Juss came out of hockey world as did my dad & brothers and that fer sure ;) cause some head bangers (the cutting edge movie? "Toe pick"? ;) then i switched early on into horses. And theres a lotta head injuries there, too. I remember 1ce being out at dennehy's in denver and girl fell off her horse jumping the outside hunt course. Her horse came running back. Someone grabbed horse, I n another ran to her. They went to call ambulance - she was crying she'd broken her leg. I asked if she cld walk? She was prolly all of 14? She said, no. I broke my leg before when i fell off once. (See? multiple falls at speed n w force) Then she rly commenced sobbing because prior? Shed stolen her big sister's tall black *custom* leather english boots (abt $$1,000.00/per now ;) and at er? Theyd cut her sister's boot off her leg. Boy was she in hot water and i cld relate. So, i said? How abt if i pull ur boots off? I think i can do that and not hurt ur leg... ?... ?

She stopped crying and said. Yes. I pulled and boot came off easily. She went to hospital, i went home. Saved her a** :) but how many ppl ride? And fall from up hi? The reason god made ponies- for kids.... TY for pony breeders like molly butler ;) n donna and paul who gave kids lessons on ponies.

Urs in good deeds ;) jury's out on head trauma - am thinking that wld -fall- under? Just the story we tell ourselves :)

I don't know about the head trauma thing... I think nearly all people, weather when young falling from a bike or when a bit older with a more serious accident have had some type of trauma to the head. I think if anything it may speed the process up some how (not sure that there is any proof of that). I have had my fair share of falling off horses albeit never on my head, but I did have a pretty good incident about a year prior to the onset of CH, long story short I hurt my back trying to move a mattress, tried to walk to the bathroom and just as I reached the travertine vanity I passed out, took a chunk of the counter with me .. 13 stitches to the lower exterior jaw and 24 inside the mouth..

It could be, of course, that it takes some very specific type of head trauma to do something that causes CH -- a bump in just the "right" place that discombobulates the hypothalamus in some way, for example.  I don't have a strong feeling one way or another about this possible cause, just sayin'.

Edited by CHfather
  • Like 2

When I was going through a 'work-up' the first time, it was 1971. I had an EKG done. They were wigged out with the results and I was given an explanation. "Your Delta Waves are messed up. Here, look.' Was it the hit or not? I do not know.

When I told them that I had had a concussion that knocked me out for 20 minutes three months prior, I was told 'We will provide whatever you need.' So, yeah, weirded them out. I was told the that time frame for post knockouts was prime for severe headaches. Might be something else today of course. Twas a few lifetimes ago.

It’s funny how Doctors try and point to concussions and head trauma when trying to figure out either migraines or Clusters. I have had 13 concussions that I know of during my racing career.  The doctors always try to connect the two. The problem is my migraines started before I got my first concussion and they have not changed in frequency, duration or intensity from the concussions. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, mit12 said:

It’s funny how Doctors try and point to concussions and head trauma.

The doctors always try to connect the two.

The problem is my migraines started before I got my first concussion and they have not changed in frequency, duration or intensity from the concussions. 

My migraines started after i hurt my low back 1980. But rly?? As ive gone deeper into learning abt chas? I remembered i had headaches daily riding schl bus home. Ate n had a coke n they improved. Went completely away jr yr h.s. and i cant even remember any ha's from 69 - 80. I think i maybe had aspirin in my med cabinet. Trauma induced from skating?? Maybe? Dont kno. I remember a lady who wanted all the kids to wear a hat for head protection from falls during free skate times. My mom said i didnt have to because i had a ponytail n that wld protect my head in falls... i just dont remember falling and hitting my head, tho.  (That was head protect stuff back in 60s). U r right. Docs like to connect the 2.