Billyx

History

From the 4/12/20 to 27/12/20 had 10 headaches ranging from 3:00am to 7:00am start time. They would last 30 minutes to 3 hour, with severity of 6-8 out of 10. Symptoms were Sharpe pain left temple. Went to hospital and a neurologist and they diagnosed me with cluster headaches. I also have a large arachnoid cysts on right side of my brain. Which can cause some slight headaches also.

From 27/12/20 to 16/7/21 I was fine no headaches. On 17/7/21 while watching something on my phone for a couple hours I got an headache on my right side. Went to bed that evening and woke up and the headache had switched sides. Since this day haven't been able to look at phone for more then 10 minutes and laptop 1 hour without getting shadows. Also will get shadows from bright sunlight, laughing and travelling in a car. Wondering if anyone else has experienced any of these symptoms, if so how did you fix/reduced them.

Thanks any help is appreciated. 

Hi Billyx! Welcome! Very glad that you found us!!! Additionally, I am sorry that you have CH. :(

Not necessarily for CH, but a lot of folks use a blue light blocker for devices to prevent getting headaches from their devices. The refresh rate seems to have a lot to do with how much it bothers your head to look at them. I get to where I cannot tolerate a computer or phone, but the TV is fine.

Have you had a MRI? It is strongly suggested with a CH diagnosis to rule out other 'bad' stuff going on in your noggin. With the cyst, I think this is important to do if you have not had one since your diagnosis. Most, if not all CHers, get at least one done early in their journey. 

As for shadows, I agree with the ginger and use it too. Caffeine is a huge help for many - Energy Drink or Shot or plain coffee all can help.  

I strongly suggest looking into the D3 Rgimen. The first iteration is here: https://vitamindwiki.com/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=7708

ATB!!!

• Like 3

Thank you Shaun and Spiny,

I will order the ginger capsules today. Will also have a look at the blue screen blockers.

I had a MRI in late 2020, and everything was fine besides the cysts. 

I had my blood test done yesterday, for the D3 Regimen. 

ATB to you also!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billyx said:

Will also have a look at the blue screen blockers.

Hi Billy...welcome..

....certainly sounds like your triggers are visual....i wonder if there is such a thing as an Optha-neurologist you could consult? Any thoughts from your current neuro?

....there has been discussion lately re tinted lenses of various hues as a CH treatment. if you pursue the blue screen blockers please be sure to check back in and tell us how well or if that worked. might want to try various settings on your phone...i know my PC has them as they advise "night time" setting so as not to effect sleep. 

best

jonathan

• Like 2

There have been more than a few people here over the years who have had trouble looking at computer screens and phones.  One discussion of blue light blockers and other strategies is here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/6075-computer-help/?tab=comments#comment-60389.  A brief discussion of the f.lux app for reducing light emission from monitors is here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/3627-tricks-for-reducing-light-emission-from-monitor/?tab=comments#comment-41856

1 hour ago, jon019 said:

there has been discussion lately re tinted lenses of various hues as a CH treatment.

That discussion is here: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/8739-glasses-to-treat-ch/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-78997

• Thanks 1

I know we are talking about visual input being a trigger but I do believe that the EMF from phones can be a possible trigger as well. Not sure if you are running straight 5g or wifi on the thing but cellular service can affect our nervous system. I am very sensitive to it and I get a numb face and hands when I'm on a long phone call. I hate it and feel that it has a negative effect to us CH folks.

• Like 3

Hi Billy, I always get (even more) sensitive to light during cluster, and has been an occasional trigger. I have the brightness down and night modes on devices/TVs and tend not to watch the screen often during clusters.

A few years back I was given lithium to stop a cluster which (I believe) made me even more ill and super sensitive to any light - I could only go out after dark. I got some FL41 glasses (pink lenses that block blue light for migraine/stroke/concussion) and they made a huge difference in reducing the bruised/stinging feeling even after the cluster ended. I wear them less often now, but more when I'm under bright lights in offices, supermarkets or if it's overcast. I was lucky that a local optometrist let me trial them before buying. I think axonoptics do similar and may be cheaper.

Good luck

• Like 4