Vit D Question re Magnesium

lbh

Hello all. Question re the vitamin d regimen. I’m finally in remission (although still waiting for the Emgality to wash the rest of the way out of my system…..going on now 13 weeks).  I’m going to start the Vit D regimen to the fullest of my ability in hopes of aiding in extending remission/tamping down the next cycle. Trouble is that my body does not tolerate any magnesium. I’ve tried a few different formulations, including glycinate, and they all cause GI issues.   Is there a version of the regimen without magnesium?  If I cut out magnesium, are there other cofactors to adjust? Haven’t started yet; just trying to get the plan nailed down. Thanks for your thoughts. 

• Like 1

Good question @lbh, maybe Batch @xxx will have encountered this and be able to offer a workaround. 

And heck I may have some personal interest in the subject, as I suspect I may have been able to correlate a brief wave of evening nausea to nights when I've taken magnesium glycinate following dinner.

• Like 1

I’ve just omitted it in the past. It gives me the back door trots like nothing else. And disclaimer, I’m not a doctor, heck I don’t even play one on tv. My two cents though is that something is better than nothing, and if I were in cycle (actually I am) then I might just take what I can tolerate and see if it helps. I’m a fan of citizen science. But I also do dumb things sometimes, so YMMV to be honest. 

I feel like it helps when I take it without? Tbh whenever I redline into high cycle I just add it and don’t care about the runs.  But the rest of the year I omit it. And I’m episodic so it’s kind of hard to tell if things help or if it’s just different this cycle. You never really know if the cycle ended because of something you were doing, or if it just ended. Or if maybe you missed a year because you were on to the cure, or if the beast just had other things to do that year somewhere else.  It’s that whole correlation doesn’t equal causation thing. It makes it hard to track efficacy. 

Hey LBH,

The magnesium and all the other cofactors in this treatment protocol are essential for proper and effective vitamin D3 pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamis.  Without supplemental magnesium at 400 mg/day, what little magnesium in your body will be consumed by the enzymatic processes that hydroxylate vitamin D3 to 25(OH)D3 and on to 1,25(OH)2D3, the genetically active vitamin D3 metabolite that helps control and prevent your CH.  This could take a few days to a few weeks and when the magnesium deficiency does occur, you'll have a poor magnesium - calcium ratio and this will lead to muscle cramps and other problems.

Take care and take all the cofactors, including magnesium.

V/R, Batch

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, lbh said:

Ok….I’ve done a little dr. Google research and ordered magnesium orotate powder, which is supposed to be much easier on the digestion. Will slowly titrate up and report back on how that goes. 

Curious to know how the magnesium prorate powder worked out for you??

I haven't done the D3 protocol but looking to start shortly. My doctor was onboard with it immediately which I gather is not always the case. Had my baseline bloods done yesterday and awaiting the results.  I did watch a video / interview by @CraigStewartand the guy Batch that came up with the regimen. I think I remember him saying that you need to be taking it with a main meal so that the fats can break down the chalky magnesium. I think it may have mentioned that you could break the dose down so rather than taking the whole dose of Magnesium with one meal you could try taking half with breakfast (as long as there is some fats) and the rest with dinner. This may help improve things around back. Going to be interesting to see how I get on and I wish you luck on your journey.

You can watch the interview here:

• Like 2

Since increasing my vitamin D, I no longer have GI issues with magnesium. High intake of Vitamin D can deplete magnesium. Maybe start with a lower amount a few days after you start increasing Vitamin D? Magnesium is so important! Nearly as many people are subclinically deficient in magnesium as they are in Vitamin D. 

Keep experimenting with different types of magnesium. Chelated magnesium oxide has been fine for me. Chelation makes it more bioavailable. Too much M glycinate gives me trouble too. I do a combo of a small amount of M citrate in an electrolyte drink, and one 250 mg pill of M oxide at night.

• Like 2