Share Your Cooking Videos of Food Local To Your Region

Juss

Someone asked me to make a video of how to make chicken and dumplings. I know how to make it, but not anywhere close to English’s Diner from which it is famous. Oddly, I worked there as a teen. We did not follow child labor laws: I was working there at 13. 

Anyways, the old-timey folk uses a flour base, and as such, the base will thicken as the dumplings boil. Bisquick does not do that, and you will need to add a few tablespoons of flour to thicken the broth/base. I did not show that step. It is in the notes. Only the purists, such as myself, notice the difference. This method is the lower shore, at home, method. Going to Deal Island or Tangier Island (old stomping grounds), is as close as you will get. 

I could find a flour base, and attempt to teach you, but no offense, most of you only understand how to cook from a box-if that. 

This summer, though I never want to eat another crab or oyster, I will show you the proper way to cook seafood. Us Chesapeake Bay folk are the only ones that can cook most seafood properly. This assumes I have the money. The days of me trading moonshine for bushels of crabs ended when I married that damn city girl. That failed. Anyway, here is the video.

• Like 1

Ah this post was pretty cool Juss:) I don't eat much weat or things with flower anymore but boy this made me miss a good dumpling! My husband is Hispanic and I am native American Indian (feather not dot) anyhoo he makes amazing salsa, chili colorado, chili verde and lots of Mexican delights! I'll have to remember to share his salsa recipe here on this thread when I get home! BTW you can get a huge pork butt pretty cheap and it could feed you for a decent amount of time..

• Like 1

Funny you should say that-I use a ham bone when I can find one. I was used to having butchers, farmers, and as a last resort, the local grocery store. I spent my time on Deal Island, the closest general store was 45 minutes away, as was gas. I was not joking about we did not call the law. We stayed locked and loaded. We got to most things by boat as it was faster. 

That was a bit much for me, and I chose to live in a town of fewer than 2,000 people. Believe me, they knew if you needed to be in church on Sunday. As you now see, we ate Venison, Rabbit, Duck, Goose Snake, Muskrat, and more. 

I swear that part of the reason I am so sick is because of the processed meats from the supermarket. 

Hi buddy, I wouldent doubt that processed meat could contribute.  When I was young (long time ago) we raised albino rabbits and my mom could cook them like no tomorrow! They were so good you could smell them a mile away from the drive. Never had rabbit since my ma passed. My step dad would make soup in a pot atop the wood burning fireplace  when us kids would go and play all day in the snow  was also the best ever! He was an iron worker so gone alot tying rebar but boy could he make something out of nothing! He taught me alot including how to wait at the docks for the fisherman to come in with fresh halibut, salmon, sea bass and crustaceans I owe so much to him! Poor dude had a vasectomy at 18 years old.. ended up with me.

• Sad 1

No need to be sad or pity me.. I have the best life ever.! No not an easy life but I wouldent change it for nothing... a hard knock life is more valuable now day's than most anything other! I value my struggle and embrace that it made me ME! I wouldn't be me without it! Cheers to you my friend.

• Like 1

That is the best attitude to have in life. The only regrets that I have in life (from the hard knocks) are not protecting the assets that I had. On that note, I have the means to get out of my situation: I just need to fix the unsecured debt and credit. Then, I'm moving to the hills. A home in far western Maryland is $650 for rent, sometimes with utilities. And I can own a shotgun, and rifle, even with the mental health history. That means hunting again. 

The issue is I will need a lifted truck: it snows over 70 inches a winter. The elevation is over 15,000 feet.  And I have not used chains in years. I think that studded snow tires are still legal. They should be, they are in my neck of the woods: it snows less than 30 inches per year here, and we are at the beginning of the Catoctin Mountains. 

Anyways, a hard life makes you honest-humble. You tend to appreciate what you have and don't take for granted anything. I am happy with nothing, truth. 

• Like 1