Is head and neck massage helpful or harmful for CH

Hugh Hall

Probably not all that helpful or harmful. For myself, I most likely would not let anyone touch my head especially my temple on the CH side but that's not because I know it to be harmful it's just because I'm a weirdo like that;)

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

As you’re seeing, probably an individual situation. I have had 3 cervical spine surgeries and have monthly massage (same person for 2+ years that knows me and what they are doing). I also have monthly PT with a specially trained cervical spine therapist which has increased my ROM and reduced my cervicogenic pain and migraines. Temporary relief for my rCCH. But I get an attack afterwards about 30% of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when I feel one coming on, it starts in my neck, and a lot of the tension during the attack is in my neck. Sometimes, if it is mild enough, holding a theragun (massage gun) to my neck will help. If I am too far into the attack or it is severe, the best it can do is distract me from the pain for a minute