Back again…

Acanderson34

Well they’re back… after going through my longest cluster period Oct 25-Dec4 last year I thought I’d be good for a few years. To my surprise I’m dealing with them again…but on the right side of my head where as the last period was my left side.

I can’t remember from years past which side was normal. Does anyone else have the pain switch sides? Either during a cycle or at the start of a new cycle?

That bites!  Yes, some do get the side switch thing. Some have it a the end of a cycle as I recall and others just have it. I don't so we can hope that someone with this variant will reply! 

Are you sure that it is a 'cycle' and not just a random hit? The weather has been weird, so randoms are more common with that. I do suppose that is too much to hope for since you are posting again. :(  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spiny said:

That bites!  Yes, some do get the side switch thing. Some have it a the end of a cycle as I recall and others just have it. I don't so we can hope that someone with this variant will reply! 

Are you sure that it is a 'cycle' and not just a random hit? The weather has been weird, so randoms are more common with that. I do suppose that is too much to hope for since you are posting again. :(  

I did think it could be the weather since in Ontario Canada we’ve gone from +20 to -5 Celsius a few times over the last couple weeks. I’m hoping that is the case but who knows. They’ve been back for about the same time period so fingers crossed with more stable weather and barometric pressure systems they go as quick as they came

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi I’m new. Not firmly diagnosed by my neurologist yet (says he’s not convinced) but I and an ER doctor suspect cluster. Mine have always been side locked to the right side today I was woken up with one of the worst ones I’ve ever had on my right side with poker like eye pain and Lots of Tearing and red eye. It subsided within 30 minutes and I was able to go back to sleep Then about two hours later woke up with my left eye just mildly irritated and watering and puffy. I’ve never noticed both sides affected before, although I didn’t have severe pain on the left more irritated . Does this happen to others? Thanks 

I am a side switcher.  My first 10 or so years were on the left mostly. But after year 5, my cycles would taper out with pain on the right. Then the cycles would start on the right, rage on the left and finish on the right. Now, 14 years into this madness, they’re almost exclusively on the right. The right hurts less but comes more frequently and lasts longer. Both sides are painful enough to wake me up from sleep and incapacitate me until the attack is gone. So, side switching is a thing for me. 

10 hours ago, KIF said:

Hi I’m new. Not firmly diagnosed by my neurologist yet (says he’s not convinced) but I and an ER doctor suspect cluster. Mine have always been side locked to the right side today I was woken up with one of the worst ones I’ve ever had on my right side with poker like eye pain and Lots of Tearing and red eye. It subsided within 30 minutes and I was able to go back to sleep Then about two hours later woke up with my left eye just mildly irritated and watering and puffy. I’ve never noticed both sides affected before, although I didn’t have severe pain on the left more irritated . Does this happen to others? Thanks 

Sure sounds like CH

One of my warning signs is opposite side pain. The pain varies from spike like pain that mimics my cluster pain to a burning sensation that makes my skin crawl. I've never had a full on switch of sides but definitely opposite side cluster related pain. I'm a rt sided banger but i suppose it’s my diplomatic side wanting to be fair...

• Haha 1