Last call for shipping of D3 stuff before it bakes to death in the heat.

Bejeeber

This is one of those things I believe I have learned from personal experience, as opposed to extensive research, so as always am open to anyone's differing take on the subject:

Some of the nutrients in the D3 regimen, such as B vitamins found in a multi-vitamin, are heat sensitive, and anyone like me who orders them online is risking receiving some killed dead pills if they are delivered in a roasting oven of a delivery van (last I checked some of the D3 regimen moving parts such as minerals like magnesium are more impervious to heat though). Here in Austin I've been waiting pretty much all of April to get a not-too-hot opening in the forecast for having my entire spring-summer-early-fall's worth of of D3 regimen components delivered alive and well, and have just pushed that button.

I suppose my urging can be summarized thusly: Order 3 to 5 months worth (depending on your local climate) of your heat sensitive D3 components while there is still some cool weather, or risk purchasing some dead krap, and worst case scenario: The Beast catches you with cluster-pants halfway down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bejeeber said:

This is one of those things I believe I have learned from personal experience, as opposed to extensive research, so as always am open to anyone's differing take on the subject:

Some of the nutrients in the D3 regimen, such as B vitamins found in a multi-vitamin, are heat sensitive, and anyone like me who orders them online is risking receiving some killed dead pills if they are delivered in a roasting oven of a delivery van (last I checked some of the D3 regimen moving parts such as minerals like magnesium are more impervious to heat though). Here in Austin I've been waiting pretty much all of April to get a not-too-hot opening in the forecast for having my entire spring-summer-early-fall's worth of of D3 regimen components delivered alive and well, and have just pushed that button.

I suppose my urging can be summarized thusly: Order 3 to 5 months worth (depending on your local climate) of your heat sensitive D3 components while there is still some cool weather, or risk purchasing some dead krap, and worst case scenario: The Beast catches you with pants halfway down.

This was a great heads up.. I'm in the land of fairytale so I order often and regularly I am somewhat of a horder when it comes to supplements. Yes mindful of expiration dates  but not a denier of possible issues with delivery . The environment we once became familiar with is changing in deed. I'm excited about my greenhouse in which I have ready a multitude of plants that produce the needed vitamins (not as much as I need but better than noda).

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BoscoPiko said:

I'm excited about my greenhouse in which I have ready a multitude of plants

Whoa, your own greenhouse? So KOOL. I recall @spiny having been involved in some truly heavyweight gardening - like I think for the supply of ALL of the plant foods consumed by the family year round?? So you two are the clusterbuster farmers on steroids (which in our case I guess would be prednisone :D).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BoscoPiko said:

I will try and post some picks on here later if I can manage to downsize them enough

That unreasonable size limit issue is one of the things be addressed during forum maintenance tomorrow [Edit: No wait, that maintenance occurs today]..........fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bejeeber said:

That unreasonable size limit issue is one of the things be addressed during forum maintenance tomorrow [Edit: No wait, that maintenance occurs today]..........fingers crossed. 

That would be great if they can fix that issue!

• Like 1

Here is what I have ready for the greenhouse so far. Cucumbers, celery, jalapeno peppers, ancho peppers, serrano peppers, bell peppers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, zucchini, tomatillos, strawberry's, tomatoes, egg plant, onions and cucamelon. I'm sure I'm leaving out some things. I cant attach the greenhouse location in this one because of file size. Will have to post separately. 

Plants.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bosco, try that pic today and see if it will post. The file size is hopefully fixed now. :)

Our last frost date is May 15th, so all that we have planted to date is potatoes, onions, snow peas, English peas, carrots, lettuce, radishes, beets and greens. The basement is full of starts in trays waiting for the 15 of May. So, the corn, beans, and other stuff waits.

We have two big gardens. One 50' x 40' is my kitchen garden out back, one is 100' x 80' that is across the road in our lower pasture. Plus my raised bed for salads. We hope to have it all planted by June first. As does every farmer, we pray for 'good' weather at all times just to get it in!!!

Your set-up is lovely. A green house is great for keeping bugs away from your veggies, along with the dang deer!! And you are safe from unsavory weather too! Color me jealous. :rolleyes: Our winds are pretty strong, so a greenhouse is not on the list currently. In addition, the cost of the new 'Ag. Well' ate up most of the 'improvement' funds for the year!!

Jeebs, you are right. We grow all veggies that we eat here. Currently more than we can eat!!!! The kids have all moved away. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spiny said:

Bosco, try that pic today and see if it will post. The file size is hopefully fixed now. :)

Our last frost date is May 15th, so all that we have planted to date is potatoes, onions, snow peas, English peas, carrots, lettuce, radishes, beets and greens. The basement is full of starts in trays waiting for the 15 of May. So, the corn, beans, and other stuff waits.

We have two big gardens. One 50' x 40' is my kitchen garden out back, one is 100' x 80' that is across the road in our lower pasture. Plus my raised bed for salads. We hope to have it all planted by June first. As does every farmer, we pray for 'good' weather at all times just to get it in!!!

Your set-up is lovely. A green house is great for keeping bugs away from your veggies, along with the dang deer!! And you are safe from unsavory weather too! Color me jealous. :rolleyes: Our winds are pretty strong, so a greenhouse is not on the list currently. In addition, the cost of the new 'Ag. Well' ate up most of the 'improvement' funds for the year!!

Jeebs, you are right. We grow all veggies that we eat here. Currently more than we can eat!!!! The kids have all moved away. 

Wow that sounds awesome Spiny! I wish I could do corn but it is more of an outdoor garden thing (space wise). That's so cool that you plant all the veggies your family eats shoot with prices the way they are it's almost necessary but aside from that part I just enjoy tinkering around with the plants. I'll try and post the pick again when I get to work.

• Like 1

B74C4D38-3BD1-4DCA-98E0-EE0D1912A16E.jpg.2addf49f3de1b904d4836e38d45616bf.jpg

I buy this and load until my labs are where I want them. Concerning the weather, it snowed last week or two weeks ago. The boiler is still going-the lows are around 30 at night.  It will be hot soon, however: reached 60 today. 

Almost done. Just need to finish the roof, interior work benches, water and electric.  Also as a side note, I have found the app "pixlar" to be the only one that can reduce an image size enough to get them to upload here...

20220506_153438.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bejeeber said:

Just wow wow wow WOW! I was picturing a typical old fashioned greenhouse, but this doesn't look like that.

And the beautiful natural setting sure doesn't hurt either.

Thanks Jeeb! It was designed to match our home and decking. We were so lucky to have come across an amazing carpenter that truly is a master at his craft. I picked a picture off line of what I liked, gave it to him and this is what he came back with. Saved us a little over 6k as the kit to build this one was around 13.. I'm gonna have to grow alot of veggies to make up to my hubby:lol:

• Like 1