CH -- Military/Tricare

ClusterFields

Does anyone here have any experience with dealing with CH's and tricare in the military? I am trying to figure out what to do next. I have Imitrex and Prednisone, it doesnt help in the least. I have been taking the Pred for 5 days now and all it has done is push my hits alter into my sleep cycle (or lack thereof now). The imitrex doesnt do anything except make me feel like I'm going to puke during a hit. The Docs seem unwilling to prescribe O2 or anything else. Does anyone know how to route around the Army for second opinions, outlying civilian docs, etc etc etc? Thanks much!

-Jon

The Docs seem unwilling to prescribe O2 or anything else. Does anyone know how to route around the Army for second opinions, outlying civilian docs, etc etc etc? Thanks much!

ClusterFields, I remember a heart-rending post recently from another military guy, Stevil, who had never been prescribed oxygen.  Many, many folks "route around" their civilian doctors by getting welding oxygen and then buying a mask and a regulator to create their own O2 system.  If you want advice about that, just ask (or start at the ch.com "oxygen page" at the "Menu" tab on the left of this page). 

I did read this at the ch.com board: >>>Yes, Tricare Prime does cover O2. Find a med equipment supply company and they should be able to do the paperwork. No referral required. Probably need a written script. Co-pay has been $5 a month for me. Don't accept the standard 8 LPM regulator like I did. O2 has never worked for me because of this. You need a non rebreather mask and whatever flow rate it takes to breathe freely. I need at least 13 lpm, some on this board say they need up to 20.<<<  You can see the whole thread at http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action=print;num=1196877119  and if you go to the main board and type "tricare" into the search bar you'll find a lot more.

Updated versions of the article about O2 mentioned in the thread that the link above leads you to can be found here:  “High-Flow Oxygen for Treatment of Cluster Headache” Journal of the American Medical Association  http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/302/22/2451.full

“Inhaled Oxygen and Cluster Headache Sufferers in the United States: Use, Efficacy and Economics: Results from the United States Cluster Headache Survey” http://www.docstoc.com/docs/62904898/US-Cluster-Headache-Oxygen-Survey-Early-View-Online-Publication-HEADACHE

Hope this helps.

Hi Clusterfields,

No experience with Tricare, but I do know getting O2 prescribed thru the VA at a high flow rate was not possible for me here in Dallas.

My suggestion would be to look into welding oxygen......order the optimask from the CH.com website and a 25 lpm regulator from ebay......around $100 for both.......go to your local welding supply and lease a tank of welding O2 and you're set.....here in the Dallas area, deposit on a M sized tank is $150, refills are $17, and rental fees on the tank is $8 a month.

Dallas Denny