Oxygen method question

FRUSTRATED123

Hello all,

I am an oxygen user and have been for years, but my attacks do not seem to abort as fast as others.

I have noticed in some other peoples messages that they are breathing the oxygen predominantly through their mouths and not their noses.  i know that I am breathing mostly through my nose.

What is the correct way to breath the oxygen for the quickest abort.

breathing through the mouth or nose?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me as I am peaking right now and am having up to 10 attacks a day.

I am waiting to see my dr. to discuss detoxing from my meds so I can bust, but until that time, oxygen is my only source of pain abortion.    Thanks.

Hi

I use a ondemand regulator with mouthpiece. I find mouthpiece much more effective than a mask. I breath in and out mouth. In my experience o2 use can be not effective at all, if not used the best way with the right equipment, or it can be very effective using right.

Breath deep as you possibly can in and out then start huff as fast as you can, i "pause" down with some deep breaths in and out again , then start the race again. This can make serious difference as i experienced at least.

Good luck to you :)

My daughter also gets better results with a "wand" or "tube" (I haven't been able to find the right official name for it)--like the one shown in the photo at the ch.com oxygen page (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/O2/index.html) next to the heading bubbler/moisturizer--than with a mask.  But she's never tried the Optimask, which so many people swear by as a "game-changer."  And I assume you're read here about "power users" with 25-45 lpm flows and big bags.

A demand valve does sound like it would be SWEET. 8-)

As far as I know, whether you're breathing thru mouth or nose isn't going to make as much difference as whether you are hyperventilating or not. I know at peak cycle I really need to huff the stuff vigorously and rapidly in order to get an abort.

I took a sort of survey/poll over at ch.com at one point regarding who was hyperventilating, what results they were getting, etc. - here's the link in case it's of any help:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1251783456/2

Ben wondering, how much o2 do you people use aprox in one week?

Few weeks back I went bottle per day, that's 20L. Approx 7 bottles a week.

This is interesting how different people use different methods. I have demand valve (it's integrated in the bottle) and it does not work for me though it's 100% oxygen (and cost effective since it only gives O2 when inhaling).

For quick stop for my clusters it's my custom ER mask and 25l/min or more. And in my case it's all about the nose. My cluster is on the left side, so if oxygen is not flowing in my left nostril and even if it is but my nostril is clogged the pain won't go lower before I get my nostril open and ozygen flowing "right to the right spot". It's always been like this but I only realized this in the last years when I have had top use oxygen a LOT.

Most people seem to have these, nostrils, nose and even those critical spots - look for them if you haven't found one (I'd bet they are somewhere near nerves).

Hmmmm.... You seem to use what i use. I used mask before, didn`t do a thing. But i had too big mask. I`m very tiny, but they always forgot to give me childrens mask. Now i got one little mask that covers just nose and mouth, also it sits tight enough to my face. BUT guess what, never tried it. First thing after logging off, gonna hook it right up!!

Thanks allot :)

Now i got one little mask that covers just nose and mouth, also it sits tight enough to my face.

For me it's extremely important that the mask is 100% sealed; I have taped all the tiniest holes in it etc. Maybe even more important is how one breathes. Deep, long inhaling at the very moment on the 1st signs of an attack - staying calm and not "panicking". It took me over a decade to learn to breath "right"

All the best for you  :)

This mask i got has an "cushioned air ring", it sits abs tight. Found this ineffective, as i couldn`t get air trough my nose at all almost. But i will try more!! :)

I have the same kind. There might be test button behind the air bag which you can press and get the air flowing even when not inhaling. This one is still not working for me, max flow you can get with it is 10L/min.