Use of Predniselone can cause Cataract to develop.

Vipul

Hello, 

I have noticed that the vision in my right eye has dropped over the last few years. This is the side where I get cluster pain. 

A few months back I discovered that O2 is a life saver for me and since then I have only had to deal with mild pain when the attack starts. However for more than 3 years before that I was dealing with very severe pain regularly. 

Question is, could all that pain have caused a drop in vision in the effected eye? I somehow feel so. 

Love and best wishes to everyone. 

Vipul Nair 

Edited by Vipul

People have questioned this in the past but I do not think any correlation between the two. I did not have glasses when I first started my fabulous cluster journey but I have them now. I think this only has to do with age and both eyes are about the same for me. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

So an update to my post. I got my eye checked and they discovered I have cataract in my right eye. Thought it was a little early for this but got operated immediately. After the operation the doc mentioned that my cataract looked very different from all the others he had operated upon. He asked me if I had ever used steroids? Told him that I had used Predniselone for an extended period if time. 

He concluded that my cataract was caused due to the Preniselone. 

Checked on google and they say yes, you can develop cataract with Presniselone use. 

Thought I'll update on the forum. I'll also change the subject. 

• Vipul changed the title to Use of Predniselone can cause Cataract to develop.

Yes, thanks Vipul. Issues requiring hip surgery are commonly the only extended use pred side effect mentioned, but, from https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/treatments/prednisone-steroids-immunosuppressing-coronavirus/:

Corticosteroids like prednisone have a laundry list of potential side effects, including high blood pressure; high blood sugar; glaucoma; issues with sleep, mood, and memory; weight gain; fluid retention and swelling; osteoporosis; and more.

Side effects tend to increase with higher doses and longer duration of use.

Another common side effect of corticosteroids like prednisone is increased risk of infections, including bacterial, fungal, and viral infections. This is particularly important to understand right now in light of the current COVID-19 crisis.

A May 2020 editorial in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism cautioned that people who regularly take oral steroids should be considered higher risk for COVID-19 and may be more prone to developing complications.

• Like 3

.... note that many chemotherapy protocols include various steroids.... for an extended period.

.... had almost the exact same discussion with eye surgeon. it developed remarkably rapidly besides the odd appearance. eye monitoring should be standard protocol for extended use of this incredibly powerful drug. it cannot be said enough for clusterheads (or their physician!): do not be enthralled to incaution by the near miraculous relief it can bring. there is a reason it has such LIMITED usage for CH. transition only.... never more than twice/yr.. and even that is risky...

.... edit to add: i am not advocating against steroid use to break a cycle.... which can be incredibly effective and sanity saving. it's use should be for relief while transitioning to a preventive like verapamil.... or better yet busting. or sometimes, for just a frigging break.....

Edited by jon019
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 4:07 AM, Bejeeber said:

Yes, thanks Vipul. Issues requiring hip surgery are commonly the only extended use pred side effect mentioned, but, from https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/treatments/prednisone-steroids-immunosuppressing-coronavirus/:

Corticosteroids like prednisone have a laundry list of potential side effects, including high blood pressure; high blood sugar; glaucoma; issues with sleep, mood, and memory; weight gain; fluid retention and swelling; osteoporosis; and more.

Side effects tend to increase with higher doses and longer duration of use.

Another common side effect of corticosteroids like prednisone is increased risk of infections, including bacterial, fungal, and viral infections. This is particularly important to understand right now in light of the current COVID-19 crisis.

A May 2020 editorial in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism cautioned that people who regularly take oral steroids should be considered higher risk for COVID-19 and may be more prone to developing complications.

Hi, been looking over the net and there are many articles suggesting cataract formation as a side effect of heavy usage of Prednisone besides many others. And to be honest, I did overuse them. 

• Sad 1