When can i stop verapamil?

Moona

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is in the best of health. I am now 3 months into current my cycle. I am currently on verapamil 120-120-120.

My symptoms (both attack and shadows) are well controlled on this regimen for the past 2 weeks, as long as i follow a strict sleep schedule. I am a physician and keeping the same sleep schedule is sometimes not possible as our shifts keep changing. 

But i really want to taper and stop verapamil as we are planning to have a baby soon and i am really afraid that verapamil is making me chronic as my usual cycle lasted for 4-6 weeks only. 

Please, advise if its the right time to taper it or and if so, how to do it.

I have started vitd3 regimen a week ago.

Thanks in advance

11 hours ago, Moona said:

as long as i follow a strict sleep schedule.

I have found the sleep schedule to be very important in managing my CH as well, like you said sometimes it is not always possible to hit the sack by 9 so other prevents like the D3 regimen are supper important. I have never tapered off the verapamil even though in reality I don't believe it has ever stopped a cycle for me, but has cut back the amount of attacks when in a cycle. I would think you would want to check your D levels prior to trying to taper off the verapamil. If you did not do a loading dose for the past week you may not have reached the level needed to keep the CH under control if you were deficient to begin with. I'm not sure about the tapering down but I was on propanol prior to the verapamil and had to taper off of the propanol for about 2 weeks prior to starting the verapamil.    

• Like 1

Buy a pill splitter....$5... go slow document your diminishing meds so you know for next cycle. Verapamil you don't wanna just stop. Cut your 3 daily pills in half. Lose .5 one day and make a judgment from there. Listen to your body and mind.

• Like 3

I will interject here that you likely would want to wait at least 2 weeks after starting the D3 Regimen before tapering off any. Having your D checked also would provide vital information and you are probably in the best position to try for that, being a doctor. If it is above 80ng/ml or a good nmol/L reading, then you can taper down. The values for each are different as I am sure that you know. But just compare the two to determine your levels.

On the Verap, I removed one pill per week from the time when I least expected a hit. Meaning, I removed the morning one first as I was nocturnal. The nightly dose went last.

If you are nocturnal, then I strongly suggest a cup of coffee or an energy drink late in the day. It has helped me a LOT with the standard 8pm hit as it does prevent it coming.

ATB!!!

• Like 1

Noted. I will get vit d level checked first. 

If i have evening shifts in hospital and i sleep in the morning time, i always get them between 8-9am in the morning. 

So which dose should i titrate first? The afternoon? 

15 hours ago, Rod H said:

Buy a pill splitter....$5... go slow document your diminishing meds so you know for next cycle. Verapamil you don't wanna just stop. Cut your 3 daily pills in half. Lose .5 one day and make a judgment from there. Listen to your body and mind.

Thanku so much

2 hours ago, spiny said:

I will interject here that you likely would want to wait at least 2 weeks after starting the D3 Regimen before tapering off any. Having your D checked also would provide vital information and you are probably in the best position to try for that, being a doctor. If it is above 80ng/ml or a good nmol/L reading, then you can taper down. The values for each are different as I am sure that you know. But just compare the two to determine your levels.

On the Verap, I removed one pill per week from the time when I least expected a hit. Meaning, I removed the morning one first as I was nocturnal. The nightly dose went last.

If you are nocturnal, then I strongly suggest a cup of coffee or an energy drink late in the day. It has helped me a LOT with the standard 8pm hit as it does prevent it coming.

ATB!!!

Noted. I will get vit d level checked first. 

If i have evening shifts in hospital and i sleep in the morning time, i always get them between 8-9am in the morning. 

So which dose should i titrate first? The afternoon

21 hours ago, BoscoPiko said:

I have never tapered off the verapamil even though in reality I don't believe it has ever stopped a cycle for me, but has cut back the amount of attacks when in a cycle

I think, its the same case for me.