Allergic reaction to Quercetin (with Bromelain)

Seff

Hi all, it possible that while taking Quercetin (with Bromelain) that since Bromelain is a "byproduct" of pineapples:

1. If I am allergic to Pineapples (not a sever allergy) that this can trigger an allergic reaction or a release of histamine, therefore making the Quercetin pointless? Since I upped my Quercetin up to 3mg/day, I noticed itchy hives on my arms, then the next day as I continued to pop the 3mg/day my top lip got swollen - and as a result, my CH flared back up again.

Is this possible? Have you known anyone who had such a reaction? 

Let me know, thanks.

Update: Lip has been swollen for 18+ hours now, but since I started back taking Benadryl this morning the swelling has gone down - still monitoring.

Edited by Seff
Providing an update on lip swelling

...i was allergic to toothpaste for a long period,... and triggered by "something" in a multivitamin (never figured out which ingredient).. anything is possible. clusterheads seem to have a good read on their bodies...trust your observations and use your gut instinct....

Edited by jon019
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jon019 said:

...i was allergic to toothpaste for a long period,... and triggered by "something" in a multivitamin (never figured out which ingredient).. anything is possible. clusterheads seem to have a good read on their bodies...trust your observations and use your gut instinct....

Humans...we're perfectly imperfect.

• Like 1

The only two times in my adult life that I ate pineapple, I got severe tooth abscesses within the next few days (the only dental abscesses of my entire life)!  Could have been coincidence, I suppose . . . I haven't tested to find out.  I see there seem to be forms of quercetin without bromelian. This one, for example (unless bromelian is hidden in those "other ingredients," but typically it seems that bromelian is treated as a feature to be touted). https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item02302/bio-quercetin?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfgzpt537enPe4CYw_HWjcfbXmIl_HfnTOXY3f3u674gC_KSZzB7k9YaAqI-EALw_wcB

Since bromelian helps quercetin to be absorbed, I would imagine that maybe if you take it without bromelian, you have to pay closer attention to dosage.

1 minute ago, CHfather said:

The only two times in my adult life that I ate pineapple, I got severe tooth abscesses within the next few days (the only dental abscesses of my entire life)!  Could have been coincidence, I suppose . . . I haven't tested to find out.  I see there seem to be forms of quercetin without bromelian. This one, for example (unless bromelian is hidden in those "other ingredients," but typically it seems that bromelian is treated as a feature to be touted). https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item02302/bio-quercetin?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_7KXBhCoARIsAPdPTfgzpt537enPe4CYw_HWjcfbXmIl_HfnTOXY3f3u674gC_KSZzB7k9YaAqI-EALw_wcB

Since bromelian helps quercetin to be absorbed, I would imagine that maybe if you take it without bromelian, you have to pay closer attention to dosage.

I went ahead and ordered the Quercetin without the bromelain this evening and should arrive tomorrow.

As a result I am now back on Benadryl, and since I started taking it this morning the swelling of my top lip has gone down, still swollen but not as big as before.

N.B. my lip was swollen for at least 18+ hours now.

I take Benadryl and not the Quercetin. It does fine for me, though some state it should not be taken on a 'regular basis'. But this warning is new and Benadryl has been around for ages and was among the first allergy drugs. So, I look at the 'new' warnings as a bit harsh or over the top. I could be wrong of course. 

It is what has been given for hives for decades! At least the 60's that I know of. Of course then it was by prescription only.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, spiny said:

I take Benadryl and not the Quercetin. It does fine for me, though some state it should not be taken on a 'regular basis'. But this warning is new and Benadryl has been around for ages and was among the first allergy drugs. So, I look at the 'new' warnings as a bit harsh or over the top. I could be wrong of course. 

It is what has been given for hives for decades! At least the 60's that I know of. Of course then it was by prescription only.

I find tht when I take Benadryl for a few days I begin to feel "wired" and "tingly"...it's a very strange feeling...

I started the Benadryl (without Bromelain) and I think it's working, but I need to take it consistently 4 times a day.

• Like 1