Welding Oxygen Question

oriley

CHfather,

I had noticed your post on welding oxygen. I am working on getting set up with a large and small tank. I ordered a 40 cu tank off of Amazon that is supposed to be prefilled.

I have also order a Clusterbuster kit. I will start looking for a place to get a large tank refilled. However, I would prefer not to exchange a new tank for one that is in the

store's inventory each time that I need to have it refilled. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate your input. There are a couple of well known distributors near me

such as Airgas and Linde.

I strongly doubt that a tank you order from Amazon is going to come pre-filled.  The 40 cu ft one I looked at there ($125) says "ships empty," but maybe there's another one I didn't see.

Someone else might have a suggestion about whether a welding O2 vendor will let you keep having your own tank filled, rather than swapping out.  I could venture some thoughts, but you'd be better off getting advice from a true expert, such as @Racer1_NC or @xxx

Where are you planning to get your large tank?    

Where are you getting your regulator(s)?  They seem to me to be a lot more expensive at welding stores than welding regulators you can get at Amazon.

I have read that some try to only use their own tanks when getting refills from a welding supply store. This enables

them to control what may or may not accidentally get into the tank. I would buy a regulator from Amazon. I have considered

the possibility of getting a large tank from the welding supply store that I am hoping to get refills from. This may enable me

to establish some type of rapport with the store. It appears that some of the distributors, like Airgas, are accustomed to delivering

and picking up tanks from your location. We have two self storage facility locations. I guess that I could have them deliver the tank

to one of our offices.

40 cu gas cylinder.jpg

I would think most suppliers would refill your personal tank.

I'd check out local suppliers prices for both purchase and rental. As stated, a good business relationship with a local supplier will go a long way.

CHFather.....the Amazon listing does indeed offers a full tank. Never seen that before....but it may just be because I wasn't looking.

....just wanna throw in for those contemplating welding O2 and coming across this thread in future.....NEVER tell them you gonna breathe it or you are gonna have to find a new shop....

....and i have to say...i am totally shocked they would ship a full tank ($125...yikes!!), and i bet it's by ground...planes have gone down from O2 tank "incidents". have witnessed a broken stem tank going through cement wall ....and a chlorine tank explosively leaking for no apparent reason (that gas is eerie green)..

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your feedback! You guys know a heck of a lot more about it than I know at the moment. I'm sure I overpaid by a bunch but I wanted to get a small tank

as quickly as possible to see if the oxygen would help. I used a hyperbaric  chamber for three sessions in 2021 and my headaches went away for almost four months.

I struggle with chronic migraines that occur every other day. Tired of taking medication and putting ice packs on my head every night. Working seven days a week does not help.

I'm not a welder and will have to figure out the best way to establish a relationship with one or two of these local dealers.

I'm not sure why a relationship with a welding O2 supplier would be advantageous.  To avoid questions that I could not answer, I have always preferred to make my dealings with them as superficial as possible.  If asked anything, which has been extremely rare, I would say something like, I'm just picking it up for my brother-in-law who is out of town and wants to do some welding jobs quickly as soon as he returns, or something that gets me off the hook from knowing anything.  Their job is to sell stuff -- for the most part, they have seemed to be as uninterested in actual conversation as I am. 

Maybe a relationship will help you get them to fill your tank rather than insisting on swapping it out.  But I doubt it.  I think they either will or they won't. And (a) with a large tank, you're not going to be going back often enough to really build a relationship, unless you're using the 40 cu ft a lot; and (b) at least at the places I go to, there are several people working there, so you're not likely to create a relationship with any of them.

Whole different thing with medical O2, when the delivery guys can do you lots of favors.

Two things discussed a lot here that also help with migraine (I assume you also have CH(???)) -- the D3 regimen and busting.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, jon019 said:

....just wanna throw in for those contemplating welding O2 and coming across this thread in future.....NEVER tell them you gonna breathe it or you are gonna have to find a new shop....

....and i have to say...i am totally shocked they would ship a full tank ($125...yikes!!), and i bet it's by ground...planes have gone down from O2 tank "incidents". have witnessed a broken stem tank going through cement wall ....and a chlorine tank explosively leaking for no apparent reason (that gas is eerie green)..

My dad ran a racing shop his whole life and he has friends that had a tank torpedo through walls before!

On 8/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, jon019 said:

have witnessed a broken stem tank going through cement wall

46 minutes ago, xBoss said:

My dad ran a racing shop his whole life and he has friends that had a tank torpedo through walls before!

....among other "fun" stuff i was safety mgr. we talked about putting a sign over the hole as a safety reminder to "chain them damn tanks". finally decided that would be too big of a screaming red flag to WISHA (OSHA). not wanting to waste dramatic evidence, we left the hole and even cleared a space around it. told inspectors, "oh yeah, that,....old forklift damage we're getting ready to fix".....

• Like 2