ClusterBusters
Sign in to follow this  
tommyd

Clusterbusters makes The Atlantic

"The Worst Possible Pain?"

...but the best possible treatment.

Featuring our own Bob Wold:

For Bob Wold, founder of the non-profit cluster headache research and advocacy organization, Clusterbusters, none of the medications he tried worked. “All of the different medications that people use for clusters are hand-me-downs, usually from migraine treatments, anti-seizure medications, or blood pressure medications…I had pretty much tried all of the different medications that were available, and so I was contemplating having gamma knife surgery. They clamp your head down and shoot radiation into your brain, killing off part of your brain. I had been approved for that surgery at Northwestern.”

He decided to try one last thing first, something heÂ’d read about online. A couple doses of psilocybin mushrooms, which are classified as a Schedule I drug, broke a cycle he says heÂ’d been stuck in for months, when nothing else could.

“I canceled the surgery and haven’t looked back since,” he says.

The rest at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/cluster-headaches-the-worst-possible-pain/281524/

Spread the word, again and again and again!!!! Great job.  :) Now a few more people get the picture and that is wonderful.

The neatest part?

Going to the AHMA conference and having neurologists compliment the prestigious venue and the article!  It's pretty nice to have a sense that our support is growing, especially among headache docs.