Occipital Nerve block with steroids

Alyssaaaa

Hi everyone, I suffer from episodic CH. Over the years I've had a total of two occipital nerve blocks administered by my neurologist, neither included steroids. I guess it was just lidocaine that was injected as my nuero said she doesn't like doing the nerve blocks with steroids. This probably explains why neither procedure provided me more than about 12-24 hour relief. From what I've read online if the nerve block includes the steroids it can offer several days or even weeks of relief.

In your experience, have you had an occipital nerve block with steroids? Did it help you? Who administered it, your neurologist or a pain management doctor?

Any intel is appreciated, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

1 week later update: I received an occipital nerve block which contained lidocaine and dexamethasone (corticosteroid) from the pain management neurologist team at Stanford. The block offered me two full days of relief. Headaches came back on day 3 at my regular pain levels and frequency :(, they said it could take up to 7 days for the steroids to fully "kick in", but I'm not too hopeful at this point.

• Sad 2