School is now in session

Perediablo

Well. The daily grind of senseless asinine classes on someone's opinion of a matter that matters not has begun. I have been anticipating this day the entire summer in hopes that the second year at this institution would be less of an affront to my sensibilities; this has been denied yet again.

At least there are the advanced level art courses to relieve my frustrations at the "younger" generation.

I was of the ilk that people seeking higher education might not be of this "give everything to me" generation, and once again I stand corrected. I am much older than the average student here, and I can see clearly the lack of parenting, morals, and dedication instilled in these "children" (for lack of a better word).

It literally blows my mind to think that they didn't have to earn anything they have obtained. Even the high school education they supposedly got was just handed to them. English and Literature do not go hand in hand in today's schools. One individual in my art class didn't know who Charles Dickens was, nor Ernest Hemingway. They were not required to read anything.

Let's strive for mediocrity! All hail normalcy! No child left behind! How about you take that iPhone that mommy bought and shove it deep in a cavity that I can't mention without being edited and learn to speak english.[is this newest slang actually the way people speak to each other?] EVERYONE gets a trophy here! Thanks for playing now go home and read a book! No Wait! It'll be a movie in 5 years no need. Pffft!

Take a good look around you folks. The deterioration of our society has begun. Who's to blame? I'll leave that to the one's better suited to figuring these problems out, but I can guess and laugh at stupidity.

Education is lost.

my $0.02

Eric

Education is lost.

WOW and double WOW!!  What a great post!!!

Education in general, and public or government schools in particular (in the U.S.), have long been my pet peeve. 

I don't know what "institution of higher learning" you attend Eric, but sadly, your post does not surprise me.  Your insight does!

And it is not entirely government schools that are to blame; as you say, much of the decline in our education system should be put on the shoulders of parents.

There is much to be worked on -- from the teacher's unions to the overwhelming liberal slant of educators, especially at the college level.

But I digress; thanks for the post Eric!  Your $0.02 is invaluable to this old man.

Bobb

If you must know, I attend Texas Tech University. I don't have too many liberally slanted educators believe it or not, even in the school of art. At least if they are, they are really good at remaining objective and silent about it.

I have found a few fellow students that are here for an education and not a social event. Would you believe they are all over the age of 30 like me?

I agree there is a lot of blame to be placed on parents and teachers for letting these kids slide through life by doing the least at the lowest possible effort.

I've had to ask students to be quiet so many times all ready. They just chat all around me like it's a party or something to the point of drowning out the professor. Passing notes like junior high is rampant.

I have been accepted into a very hard and lucrative degree program. It was very competitive and tons of people weren't accepted or had a break down and dropped. These "kids" are in this program and appear as if they don't care about anything. I think I can point out the ones that will fail at this point. Communication Design is very sought after program here. Maybe these people should pay attention or drop so some that were not accepted initially can get in.

Maybe they'll all end up designing billboards for a sausage company. That would make me smile. Is that mean?

It is not only like that in USA, in Poland it is more and more everyday thing aswell.

Actually Poland follows American way of life very strong right now, all movies and so on products made in west come to Poland and some kids here try to act cool like they lived in some hood, hanging around and showing off stuff they didn't earn even.

Also more and more people I see are stupidier with each year.