yoga

anthony g

So i started 1 on 1 yoga this morning thought it would be a great way to start the new year off. I now hours later feel an increase in my shadows  :( Im wondering if the yoga was a bit too much since I am feeling more increase? Anyone else have similar experience with any kind of working out?

Thanks

ANthony

• 7 years later...

Hi Anthony,

I have done traditional hatha yoga for 12 years on an intensive level and I finally stopped it as it always had a devastating effect on my headaches. Both on migraine and cluster headache. I always thought it was not possible yoga could make my condition worse but finally have to acknowledge it actually does.

Yoga addicts can pretend whatever they want but in my case, yoga has done absolutely nothing for my headaches, on the contrary, these exercises are pushing a lot of energy to the head and just intensify the headaches and make it worse overall. I have stopped practicing for 6 months now and I have seen a slight improvement over time and no more so often these violent breakout of attacks (both migraine and cluster).

My suggestion: stay away from any indoors activity and do something outside in the open air. However if you believe in the yoga hype, don't hesitate to try it and if it worsen your condition, you can be sure yoga is the culprit. I think for our condition, tai-chi and chi-gong are better choices if one is looking into Eastern mind-body oriented practices.

All the best !

siegfried

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with Siegfried on this one.

I've tried yoga a handful of times, most ending in a migraine or a cluster headache shouting at me from within a migraine. 

The last time I went to such a class, it was billed as a Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates mix. I love Tai Chi, and am Ok with Pilates. There was about 3 minutes of Tai Chi, 5 minutes of Pilates and then an hour of Yoga. When it was over, the migraine had already started building. By the time I got home, it maxed out and turned into a cluster attack. I spent the next hour in tears. 

Especially the Downward Dog. Yes, let's just put our head on the ground and stick our butts in the air so all the pressure and blood goes to our heads. Yeah, like that's an idea. 

Am pretty impressed I wrote all that without swearing, even once.

I hate yoga. 

MG

• Haha 1