Just got approved for Emgality, any advice

CapeReef

I've been desperate for some remission that lasts longer than 2 or 3 days. Dr wrote the script but at $4K for the initial dose plus 1 maintenance dose my ins company wanted to review it. A week later, a lonnngggg painful week, I'm approved and with a manufactures coupon (that you can download at https://emgality.lilly.com ) It'll be $-0- cost to me.
I don't want to get my hopes up but wow the thought of getting a meaningful/ longer than 3 day remission is pretty exciting. 
 Anyone have any advise/ experience on using this? I'll be reading of course but it's always nice to hear first hand.

The recommendation for CH is three doses, starting when a cycle begins.  Two is for migraine.

This is from the Lilly/Emgality website (https://uspl.lilly.com/emgality/emgality.html#pi)

• Episodic cluster headache recommended dosage: 300 mg (administered as three consecutive injections of 100 mg each) at the onset of the cluster period, and then monthly until the end of the cluster period.
  •  
You still could get some relief, so it's worth trying, but it might not be a real test.  
Don't recall from your previous posts what you're doing for your CH.  D3?  Verapamil?  Tried busting?  Oxygen?  Seems like prednisone would pretty surely get you some days of relief.
Edited by CHfather
  • Like 1

Hi CH father
Thanks for that.
I have read all the info available from the website, their studies and everything else I can.

I have not tried any of those, I'm still relatively new to understanding what the heck is going on with this all.
Only officially diagnosed in November and only now, since December in a cycle that only gives me 2-5 day remissions that only come when I travel to my house in south FL. My go to for relief has been Advil cold and sinus and Motrin Duo, that does seem to help within 20 minutes or so.
Right now on day two almost attack free after hitting myself with the Emgilty Saturday. (I had one mild one Saturday night )
I did try sumatrin (SP) a month or so ago but had a bad reaction. 

Edit, I typed that yesterday, thought I hit submit, guess not, now it's Tuesday and in day 3 pain free. Fingers crossed it's just the start of a good run.

• Like 1

I did take a few rounds of Emgality, first month went ok and seemed to settle things down for me each month after it progressively got worse. I think I lasted 3 or 4 months, I can not remember. I know it was 3 shots that I had given myself in the stomach  once a month all at the same time. They were delivered to my house and needed to be kept in the fridge until I used them. One thing I can remember is that if you do not let them get to room temp before using them it hurts like hell.

Give it a try and I hope it works out for you. We are all so different in what does and does not help. Just gotta try it tweak it and figure out how it best works for you. 

• Like 1

I used my thigh, so far so good. Day 4 attack free.

17 hours ago, FunTimes said:

I did take a few rounds of Emgality, first month went ok and seemed to settle things down for me each month after it progressively got worse. I think I lasted 3 or 4 months, I can not remember. I know it was 3 shots that I had given myself in the stomach  once a month all at the same time. They were delivered to my house and needed to be kept in the fridge until I used them. One thing I can remember is that if you do not let them get to room temp before using them it hurts like hell.

Give it a try and I hope it works out for you. We are all so different in what does and does not help. Just gotta try it tweak it and figure out how it best works for you. 

• Like 3