Management of Cluster Headache Via Supplementation

Tony Only

I have to admit, I did not find this piece too helpful.  There is definitely a lot of accurate info,but he mixes it up with a WHOLE LOT of random junk that has not been proven at all, and put's it out there as fact.  This, to me, is some of the more dangerous kind of info--when 70% of what you are saying is true people start thinking that leftover 30% must be true as well.

Examples-

A cluster headache is both an oxygen deprivation headache and a vascular dilation headache which has its origins in an overactive REM sleep or sharp transitions from REM sleep or an impulse from the hypothalamus or subconscious whereby there is sudden dilation of the carotid artery and surrounding vessels in the brain together with heightened electrical activity in the brain causing inflammation of the trigeminal nerve producing forehead pain, eye pain, side of the head pain, temple pain and back-of-the neck pain.

-we do not yet now what causes or "is" a cluster headache.  Saying a cluster headache is an "oxygen deprivation headache" is complet conjecture. (and seeing as how there are CH patients that do not repond to O2, it would seem that this is not true)

Truthfully, if I went through and picked out all the stuff that is based on nothing more than this guys experiences and NOT based on facts that have been proven I would be here all day...I'll give some highlights instead

He says these things set off clusters-

-eating pork, sausage, ham, red meats or turkey especially for dinner.  (I missed that study)

-an imbalance of brain chemicals; ie too much serotonin and not enough melatonin (This is far from proven...)

-an overactive and unsettled subconscious mind that manifests itself with awakenings and/or vivid dreams.  (um...what?  How did this get proven?)

- the use of the two dietary landmines NutraSweet and Equal.  (evidence that this may be true with migraines but I have never been able to find any study at all on clusters and aspartame.  I guess it doesn't matte, that shit is toxic even if it doesn't give you a cluster)

-seasonal stresses like going out to mow the yard, or taking a ride in the convertible, or raking the fall leaves or having the sun break through the blinds early on a summer morning, or going down to the beach for a beer on a warm summer night, or having a red wine in front of the fireplace on a cold winter's night.   (this is list of completely different things and to me makes no sense at all.  Mowing the yard and getting a cluster and having a beer on a warm summer night causing a cluster are the same root cause--Seasonal stress? Seriously?)

Other tidbits that don't make sense--

-Taller than 5'8" is a risk factor for cluster headache.  (um....?)

-Another risk factor- Being a reflective thinker and/or reader, or doing detailed work like watch repair or accounting (missed that study too)

- Do not consume caffeine after lunch.  (I'm missing studies left and right..)

-A number of things that he recommends are triggers for me, only a couple examples are hops, theanine melatonin and valerian.  In his list of herbals he says both lemon balm and "melissa" can help.  These are the same plant.  I only bring this up because it shows that once again, this guy has not done his research but wants to tell everybody about it.  I love lemon balm.  Never helped my clusters one bit though.

-Take Petadolex, the safe form of Butterbur, but the cost of treatment is $50/month for four months before results are seen; this is far beyond my budget.  (I have heard good things about this with migraine, but there has been no studies done with clusters.  None)

-You should " Eliminate eggs as these contain/produce cholesterol giving one a bad lipids report"

-Use aromatherapy continually throughout the day.  (I am a huge fan of aromatherapy, but this is kind of like saying "use drugs continuously throughout the day" Wrong drug, wrong aromatherapy and you are a hurting puppy)

There is so much here that is complete conjecture...This would be more helpful if he framed it as "This is my experience and this is what has helped me"  Instead he makes all sorts of assumptions that have not been proven, mixes it with personal experience and put's it out there as if all of this has been proven.  Like I said before, the dangerous thing about this is that it has enough true info to make people think that this guy has actually done his research--which he clearly has not. 

-sorry for being so down on this, but I thought I should share my thoughts before someone goes all out and try's everything this guy says because they found a few nuggets of wisdom.

-Ricardo

When I stumbled into this, I did not take these as absolute truths (well, I don't take anything as absolute truth concerning CH) but just one patient's thoughts and ideas. But you have a good point, he is a bit too preachy style wise. Anyways, for me it just created some new thoughts about whole subject. Some of the stuff relate to acetaldehyde which I think it's a mother trigger, melatonin (in my mind) can affect a lot how one's dreams turn out, seasonal stress part just is about the executive headache (in my mind) when relaxation after performing is bad for us etc. etc.

I have found similar personalities among clusterheads I've been in contact with 20+ years (about that detailed work/thinking part).

I just think it's neat that someone has written so much about it, but completely agree with Ricardo, it should be titled "This is my experience and this is what has helped me" which would make it more "right".

It IS a good case report of a person's experiences with CH and does have  good ideas for people to explore, I will say that.  The more people write about their experiences in detail the more info we get, which is awesome.  Just good for people to remember that this is one person's experience and that if the ideas he is bringing up seem intriguing they should research the ideas a bit themselves first.

Thanks Tony!  like I said, This does have good ideas for people to explore.

-Ricardo